Trying to gain a better understanding of laboratory experiments

In summary, if you are looking for introductory books on using computer code to interface with hardware and understanding the functions of hardware commonly found in physics labs, "Getting Started with Sensors" and "LabVIEW for Everyone" are both good options to consider.
hotcommodity
I'm not nearly as good at laboratory work as I'd like to be. I'm therefore searching for a book (or books) that describe, at an introductory level, the following topics:

- Methods of using computer code to interface with hardware (e.g. using GPIB/IEEE addresses to extract information from hardware devices, etc.). Preferably, I'd like a book that uses MATLAB, C++, or Java.

- Understanding what the hardware actually does. And by hardware, I mean the devices that you'd typically find in a physics lab: oscilloscopes, function generators, lock-in amplifiers, etc.

I've searched all over Amazon for introductory books that discuss these topics, but to no avail. Any suggestions are of course appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
One book that could help you with understanding hardware is "Getting Started with Sensors: Measure the World with Electronics, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi" by Kimmo Karvinen and Tero Karvinen. The book provides an introduction to various sensors, such as accelerometers, microphones, light sensors, and temperature sensors, and provides detailed instructions on how to use them with Arduino and Raspberry Pi. For interfacing with hardware using computer code, I recommend "LabVIEW for Everyone: Graphical Programming Made Easy and Fun" by Jeff Bachiochi. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to LabVIEW, a graphical programming language for programming hardware interfaces. It includes tutorials and examples to help you get started with LabVIEW quickly and easily.

Related to Trying to gain a better understanding of laboratory experiments

What is the purpose of laboratory experiments?

The purpose of laboratory experiments is to test and observe the effects of different variables on a specific phenomenon in a controlled environment. This helps scientists gain a better understanding of cause and effect relationships and can lead to the development of theories and solutions.

How are laboratory experiments designed?

Laboratory experiments are designed by identifying the research question and hypothesis, selecting a sample group, determining the independent and dependent variables, and creating a controlled environment to manipulate and measure the variables.

What are the advantages of conducting laboratory experiments?

There are several advantages to conducting laboratory experiments, including the ability to control variables, replicate the experiment, and observe cause and effect relationships in a controlled setting. Additionally, laboratory experiments allow for the collection of quantitative data, which can provide more precise and reliable results.

What are some limitations of laboratory experiments?

One limitation of laboratory experiments is that they may not accurately reflect real-world situations. The controlled environment may not accurately represent the complexities of the natural world, and the results may not be generalizable to a larger population. Additionally, ethical concerns may limit the types of experiments that can be conducted in a laboratory setting.

How can laboratory experiments be improved?

To improve laboratory experiments, scientists can use randomization and control groups to reduce bias and increase the validity of the results. They can also use larger and more diverse sample groups to increase the generalizability of the findings. Additionally, incorporating multiple methods and replicating the experiment can help to strengthen the results.