Trying to Flash Bios but cant boot on floppy

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash
In summary, the person is trying to revive an old ASUS TUSI-M 1.1Ghz board by flashing its BIOS. They have created a bootable floppy with flash programs from the ASUS website on another machine, but when trying to boot it on the machine they are trying to flash the BIOS on, it says to insert a bootable floppy. They are wondering if it is due to the DOS version. They are seeking help, but are unsure if the problem still exists due to the posting date.
chrisalviola
Iam trying to revive my old ASUS TUSI-M 1.1Ghz board, its bios needs to be flashed, it can only boot asking for a floppy, I created a bootable floppy in XP on my other machine and copied flash programs in it at ASUS website, i tried booting my floppy startup disk on the other machine and it booted in MSDOS fine but after i inserted the floppy disk on the PC iam trying to flash the bios it said "insert a bootable floppy" iam using the same floppy drive why can't it boot on the other machine? is it the dos version?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can help you with this but need to know if you still have this problem(due to the posting date)

1. Why am I unable to boot from my floppy disk when trying to flash my BIOS?

There are several possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the floppy disk is not properly formatted or contains corrupted files. Another possibility is that the BIOS settings may be preventing the computer from booting from the floppy disk. It is also possible that the floppy drive itself is malfunctioning.

2. How can I format my floppy disk for BIOS flashing?

To format a floppy disk for BIOS flashing, you will need to use a utility provided by your computer's manufacturer. This utility can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or on a CD that came with your computer. Follow the instructions provided by the utility to properly format the floppy disk.

3. Can I use a USB drive instead of a floppy disk for BIOS flashing?

It depends on the specific computer and BIOS. Some computers allow for USB booting and have the option to flash the BIOS from a USB drive. However, not all computers have this capability. Check your computer's manual or the manufacturer's website to see if this is an option for your specific model.

4. What should I do if my computer freezes during the BIOS flashing process?

If your computer freezes during BIOS flashing, it is important to remain calm and not turn off the computer. This could cause permanent damage to the BIOS. Instead, wait for at least 15 minutes to see if the process continues. If it does not, you may need to try flashing the BIOS again or seek assistance from a professional.

5. Is it necessary to update my BIOS?

In most cases, it is not necessary to update your BIOS unless you are experiencing specific issues that can be resolved with a BIOS update. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by your computer's manufacturer when updating the BIOS, as a mistake can cause serious damage to your system. If you are unsure whether you need to update your BIOS, it is best to consult a professional for assistance.