Trying to find the equation of position in a circular oscillatory motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the expression for the perturbed orbit of a mass that was originally in a circular orbit and received a small impulse. The conditions for the problem include a stable circular orbit, constant angular momentum, and an increase in energy. The conversation delves into finding the equation of motion and using an effective potential to approximate the perturbed orbit. The conversation also discusses finding the orbital angular frequency and using a series expansion to determine an effective spring constant.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
The problem is how to get a equation of a position of a body that suffer a impulse and now is on a orbit that oscillate. The conditions are:
The body was in a circular orbit at initial.
L remains constant
The circular orbit is stable
The energy increases a little.
The force is such that it has all the necessary conditions above, and, obviously, are central attractive and varies with the distance.
Relevant Equations
E = T + U'
L = mwr^2
Initial radius is ro
f = -kr^n
First of all, i know that the motion will be bounded, is not necessary to know if the motion will be closed or not.
Second, by analyzing the graphic of a effective potential with such conditions, the motion will agree with harmonic motion.

Ok

I don't know how to prove the harmonic oscillation, here i want help.

But, just assuming that it is true, the general equation is
r = M + acos + bsin

Since w = (√(k/m)), and k is the second derivation of the potential energy [here i use the effective potential instead just the potential] in the ro initial.

All of this bring to the final equation:

1589457684416.png
[Actually the terms between parentheses of the sin is under root , i forget write this.]

I don't know to take off t.
And How to determinate B

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose English is not your native language so let me reformulate the statement of the problem as I understand it.

Mass ##m## moves in a circular orbit under the influence of a central force given by ##F=-k r^n.## At time ##t=0## this object receives a small impulse, so that its orbit is perturbed from being circular. Find an expression for the perturbed orbit.

Am I close?

• Haha
Likes Delta2, etotheipi, LCSphysicist and 1 other person
kuruman said:
I suppose English is not your native language so let me reformulate the statement of the problem as I understand it.

Mass ##m## moves in a circular orbit under the influence of a central force given by ##F=-k r^n.## At time ##t=0## this object receives a small impulse, so that its orbit is perturbed from being circular. Find an expression for the perturbed orbit.

Am I close?
yes haha sorry

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: The problem is how to get a equation of a position of a body that suffer a impulse and now is on a orbit that oscillate. The conditions are:
The body was in a circular orbit at initial.
L remains constant
The circular orbit is stable
The energy increases a little.
The force is such that it has all the necessary conditions above, and, obviously, are central attractive and varies with the distance.
Relevant Equations:: E = T + U'
L = mwr^2
Initial radius is ro
f = -kr^n

First of all, i know that the motion will be bounded, is not necessary to know if the motion will be closed or not.
Second, by analyzing the graphic of a effective potential with such conditions, the motion will agree with harmonic motion.

Ok

I don't know how to prove the harmonic oscillation, here i want help.

But, just assuming that it is true, the general equation is
r = M + acos + bsin

Since w = (√(k/m)), and k is the second derivation of the potential energy [here i use the effective potential instead just the potential] in the ro initial.

View attachment 262765 [Actually the terms between parentheses of the sin is under root , i forget write this.]

I don't know to take off t.
And How to determinate B
You will be needing to make some approximation for the small perturbation, so I would start from the other end: write the differential equation for the motion based on the force function given.

LCSphysicist said:
Relevant Equations:: E = T + U'
L = mwr^2
Initial radius is ro
f = -kr^n

Since w = (√(k/m)), and k is the second derivative of the potential energy [here i use the effective potential instead just the potential] in the r0 initial.

View attachment 262765 [Actually the terms between parentheses of the sin is under root , i forget write this.]

I don't know how to take off t.
And How to determine B .
The expression for angular momentum is incorrect. r should not be squared.
It should be L = mΩr0, where m is the mass of the orbiting body, Ω is the angular velocity for the orbit and of course, r0, is the radius of the circular orbit (unperturbed). I use upper case Ω here, because there is no reason to expect that the angular frequency (angular velocity) of the orbit has the same value as the angular frequency of the harmonic oscillation.

I suggest finding the orbital angular frequency, Ω, or equivalently, the orbital period, T, for the circular orbit. Equate centripetal force and the central force, f, where ##\text{f} = -k ~ {r_0}^n ##.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
You will be needing to make some approximation for the small perturbation, so I would start from the other end: write the differential equation for the motion based on the force function given.
I would too. The mass is in an effective potential that one writes as the sum of the central potential and the centrifugal potential ##U_{eff}=U_{central}+\dfrac{L^2}{2mr^2}##. This can be used to find (a) the radius of circular orbits; (b) the values of ##n## (positive or negative) for which circular orbits exist; (c) a series expansion which will provide an effective spring constant for small radial oscillations.

Likes LCSphysicist
Seeing this again, i am trying to solve:
I thought that:
F =
1592282884166.png

So F = C/(ro + dr)² + l²/m(ro + dr)³
Well, a little of algebra and expansion would lead to:
f = mr'' = C*/ro² - 2*C*L*dr/ro³ + L²/mro³ - L²*3*dr/(m*ro^4)

This is a little ugly.

I assumed n to be minus 2 to facility the problem at first, i think if i understand by this way i can go on.

C is negative

Attachments

• 1592281662039.png
    1592281662039.png
    1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
SammyS said:
The expression for angular momentum is incorrect. r should not be squared.
It should be L = mΩr0, where m is the mass of the orbiting body, Ω is the angular velocity for the orbit and of course, r0, is the radius of the circular orbit (unperturbed). I use upper case Ω here, because there is no reason to expect that the angular frequency (angular velocity) of the orbit has the same value as the angular frequency of the harmonic oscillation.

I suggest finding the orbital angular frequency, Ω, or equivalently, the orbital period, T, for the circular orbit. Equate centripetal force and the central force, f, where ##\text{f} = -k ~ {r_0}^n ##.
But this don't even have the units of L :C kg*m²/s

SammyS said:
L = mΩr0
That RHS has dimension momentum, not angular momentum.

Likes SammyS
Well, now seems okay my post.

LCSphysicist said:
Seeing this again, i am trying to solve:
I thought that:
F = View attachment 264725
So F = C/(ro + dr)² + l²/m(ro + dr)³
Well, a little of algebra and expansion would lead to:
f = mr'' = C*/ro² - 2*C*L*dr/ro³ + L²/mro³ - L²*3*dr/(m*ro^4)

This is a little ugly.

I assumed n to be minus 2 to facility the problem at first, i think if i understand by this way i can go on.

C is negative
The force you need an expression for is the restoring force. This should be zero when dr is zero.

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
That RHS has dimension momentum, not angular momentum.
Yes, you are correct.

It should be: L = mΩr02, remembering that Ω is the orbital angular velocity of the initial circular motion, not, ω, the angular frequency of the additional oscillatory which results from the impulse.

Related to Trying to find the equation of position in a circular oscillatory motion

1. What is circular oscillatory motion?

Circular oscillatory motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, constantly repeating the same motion. It is also known as circular motion or circular vibration.

2. How is the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion derived?

The equation of position in circular oscillatory motion can be derived using trigonometry and the concept of angular velocity. It is based on the relationship between the angle of rotation and the distance from the center of the circle.

3. What are the variables involved in the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion?

The variables involved in the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion are the amplitude (maximum distance from the center of the circle), angular frequency (rate of change of the angle of rotation), and phase angle (initial angle at which the motion starts).

4. How is the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion different from that of linear motion?

The equation of position in circular oscillatory motion is different from that of linear motion because it involves trigonometric functions and angular displacement, whereas the equation of linear motion only involves linear displacement and time.

5. Can the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion be used to describe any type of circular motion?

Yes, the equation of position in circular oscillatory motion can be used to describe any type of circular motion, as long as the motion is periodic and the object moves at a constant speed around a fixed point.