Getting the equations of motion for this SHM problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the different equations of motion for an oscillating system with friction between a cylinder and a surface. The speaker explains that the sign of the friction force is determined by the direction of motion, and that it is not constant in magnitude but related to displacement. They also mention the constraint equation that relates the friction force to the motion, and how choosing a positive direction for the friction force determines its sign in the equations. They also mention the constraint equation that relates the displacement and angular motion, which determines the relation between x and theta. Ultimately, the different equations of motion are the same because of this constraint.
phantomvommand
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: I have come across a situation where I seem to get different equations of motion for an oscillating system. Please do help me find out where I went wrong.

1615749059558.png

*I am not asking how to solve the problem*
I am going to consider 4 parts of the cylinder's motion, as listed below. (There is friction, denoted by f, between the cylinder and the floor.)
1. Displacement left of equilibrium, velocity towards the left
2. Displacement left, moving right
3. Displacement right, moving right
4. Displacement right, moving left

Case 1:
mx'' = -kx - f, where leftwards is taken as positive. kx is a rightwards force when displacement is leftwards, moving left implies friction is to the right.
Case 2:
mx'' = -kx + f, leftwards is positive. I have flipped the sign of friction here, because it is moving right, so friction is to the left.
Case 3:
mx'' = -kx - f, rightwards is positive.
Case 4:
mx'' = -kx + f, rightwards is positive. This is similar to Case 2, so friction is now positive too.

There are 2 different equations of motion, why are they ultimately the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you should not be concerned with the magnitude or direction of the friction force between cylinder and surface for this problem.
The cylinder is forced to rotate, which means that its rotational inertia should be considered.

Likes hutchphd and phantomvommand
Your approach is not going to work because the frictional force is not constant in magnitude.
It will be related to displacement. Consequently it will change sign as appropriate without needing a different sign in the equation.

If you write Newton's second law for rotations about the point of contact P, you have a restoring torque ##\tau=-kxR=I_P~\alpha##. The friction exerts no torque, for rolling without slipping ##x=R\theta## and so on.

Likes phantomvommand
haruspex said:
Your approach is not going to work because the frictional force is not constant in magnitude.
It will be related to displacement. Consequently it will change sign as appropriate without needing a different sign in the equation.
Thanks for this. I do realize that friction = 0.5mx’’. How do I know when to set friction to be positive, and when it is negative?

phantomvommand said:
Thanks for this. I do realize that friction = 0.5mx’’. How do I know when to set friction to be positive, and when it is negative?
You have to choose a positive direction for the frictional force. Having chosen it, that determines its sign in each of two equations: the one you quote above and the one for the horizontal F=ma balance. As long as you are consistent it will all work.
As a check, would you expect the magnitude of the acceleration to be more less than |kx/m|?

Likes phantomvommand
phantomvommand said:
I do realize that friction = 0.5mx’’.
How do you know this? Because there is is a constraint as you realize. There are two equations here. One contains an unknown frictional force. The constraint equation relates this force to the motion including the sign. (As a check: The wheel rotating makes it effectively more massive when accelerated by the spring)

hutchphd said:
How do you know this? Because there is is a constraint as you realize. There are two equations here. One contains an unknown frictional force. The constraint equation relates this force to the motion including the sign. (As a check: The wheel rotating makes it effectively more massive when accelerated by the spring)
I used friction*radius = I*angular acceleration.
Setting R*alpha = acceleration gives you friction as 1/2mx”.
One way to get the sign of friction is to set the anti-clockwise rotation as positive (when leftwards motion is positive). What is the constraint equation you mentioned? Thank you.

phantomvommand said:
I used friction*radius = I*angular acceleration.
Yes that is fine. And the constraint is (formally your choice of sign) that $$r\theta =x$$ and so$$r \ddot \theta=\ddot x$$ which determines the relation chosen between x and theta

1. What is SHM and why is it important?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. It is important because it can be used to model many real-world systems, such as pendulums, springs, and even molecular vibrations.

2. How do you determine the equations of motion for a SHM problem?

The equations of motion for a SHM problem can be determined using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In SHM, the restoring force is typically given by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

3. What are the key variables in the equations of motion for SHM?

The key variables in the equations of motion for SHM are displacement (x), velocity (v), acceleration (a), mass (m), and the spring constant (k). These variables are related by the equations x = A cos(ωt), v = -Aωsin(ωt), and a = -Aω^2cos(ωt), where A is the amplitude of the motion and ω is the angular frequency.

4. How do you solve for the period and frequency of a SHM system?

The period (T) and frequency (f) of a SHM system can be calculated using the equations T = 2π/ω and f = 1/T, where ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be found by taking the square root of the ratio of the spring constant (k) to the mass (m), or ω = √(k/m).

5. Can the equations of motion for SHM be applied to non-linear systems?

No, the equations of motion for SHM can only be applied to linear systems where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement. Non-linear systems, such as a pendulum with large amplitudes, require more complex equations of motion to accurately model their behavior.