Trying To Find IBM TrueNorth Processor Information

In summary, Joel is looking for a processor to use in his company, Applied Robotics. IBM TrueNorth processors are unavailable to Joel, as they are being used by university researchers only at this time. Joel is not deterred, and has a preliminary business plan for finding venture capital financing. He is 58 years old with 5 years of college, and has a belief that robots will help mankind.
forex10
Hello,
It is my desire to build a functioning robot & start a company called Applied Robotics. I would like to use the IBM TrueNorth processor, however I am not able to get IBM to respond to my requests for info. They have even created a send in form but do not respond to it.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this? I know they are having production problems & the supply of these processors are limited, but it would be nice if they would at least respond. I fear that if I call them I would just get a run around. Also does anyone know what the costs are for a single processor?

Joel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you're affiliated with a reputable university or a person of note you're unlikely to get anywhere at this stage. Based on what I can find IBM is only releasing them to University researchers currently.
The joys of brand new technology :)

Sometimes with new hardware it's not just the availability and cost of the hardware that's the problem - its the cost of the associated support you will need.

Try writing a paper explaining what is unique about your project and why it's only possible using that particular processor. If you can get it published and it's a suitably worthy cause you might stand more of a chance.

PS. I suspect that company name has probably been taken already.

Likes cpscdave
forex10 said:
Hello,
It is my desire to build a functioning robot & start a company called Applied Robotics.
Obviously you did not do even the most trivial research to see if the company name is already used. It is.

Likes russ_watters, cpscdave and Averagesupernova
When I have some extra time I try to plan for creating an applications oriented robotics company. Not only have I searched for an advanced processor, it is even more important to find a functioning robotic arm. About the only arm I have found are prosthetic arms - which might be adapted for robotic use.

So I did overlook the name of the company. I am some what disappointed but it will not deter me from trying to seek out $20,000,000 in venture capital financing. With the right kind of promotion I believe This financing can be obtained. I will just have to find another name for the company.

Joel

On the list of things to be most concerned about, the company name shouldn't be very high. First you need a product or technology (patented or patent pending), then you need a business plan for how the business will make money. I'm going to venture a guess that you don't have any of that.

I don't want to sound rude, but at the same time feel like this needs like a shot of reality...it has the feel of a boyhood fantasy. May I ask what your age and level of education is?

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP... I'd get started with a Raspberry Pi and some solenoids. Lots of fun and less than $50.

Likes russ_watters
forex10 said:
So I did overlook the name of the company. I am some what disappointed ...
The name of the company is not all that significant. What is MUCH more significant to me is that you didn't even bother to research such a trivial part of your plan. I agree w/ Russ. This appears to be poorly thought through with no concept of an actual business plan. Like Russ, I'm not trying to be mean or rude to you but simply to alert you to the fact that you don't seem to have really even begun to think this through.

Likes russ_watters
There are quite a few robotics companies with a proven track record. I think you will need to find a USP and prototype it using whatever you can get before looking for finding.

To respond to some comments - I am 58 with 5 years of college. When I saw Westworld in 1974 I became a firm believer that robots would some day become widely used & manufactured. Despite the violent content of WW I also believe that robots will instead greatly help mankind. I have a preliminary business plan that I have used for Craigslist ads. I am just not devoting as much time as I would like to the project now because of continued success in the oil business. One final statement - due to the slow progress with the development of a functioning robots, I have over the years had much time to thoroughly consider the development of robotic systems.

Related to Trying To Find IBM TrueNorth Processor Information

1. What is the IBM TrueNorth processor?

The IBM TrueNorth processor is a neuromorphic chip that is designed to mimic the structure and function of the human brain. It is able to process information using principles of neuroscience, such as parallel processing, low power consumption, and adaptive learning.

2. How does the IBM TrueNorth processor differ from traditional processors?

The IBM TrueNorth processor differs from traditional processors in several ways. Unlike traditional processors, which use a sequential processing approach, the TrueNorth processor uses a parallel processing approach. It also has a significantly lower power consumption, making it more energy-efficient. Additionally, the TrueNorth processor is designed to process information in a way that mimics the structure and function of the human brain.

3. What are the potential applications of the IBM TrueNorth processor?

The IBM TrueNorth processor has the potential to be used in a variety of applications, including artificial intelligence, robotics, and cognitive computing. Its ability to process information in a way that is similar to the human brain makes it well-suited for tasks such as pattern recognition, decision making, and adaptive learning.

4. How does the TrueNorth processor achieve low power consumption?

The TrueNorth processor achieves low power consumption through its use of a parallel processing approach and its design based on neuroscience principles. By processing information in a parallel manner, the chip is able to reduce the number of operations required, leading to lower power consumption. Additionally, its design allows for the chip to only use power when needed, further reducing overall energy consumption.

5. Is the IBM TrueNorth processor currently available for commercial use?

Yes, the IBM TrueNorth processor is currently available for commercial use. It was first introduced in 2014 and has since been used in various research projects and applications. IBM has also made the processor available for purchase through their website for those interested in incorporating it into their projects or applications.