Trying to decide on a university

• Schools
  • Thread starter thatoneguy6531
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the speaker has been accepted to Queens and McMaster for engineering and Waterloo for physics. They are having a difficult time deciding between the two, but have narrowed it down to Queens or McMaster because of their engineering physics specializations. The speaker is considering reputation and potential for graduate studies, but ultimately wants to make a decision based on their interests and opportunities, such as clubs and courses. They are also considering the job market for physics graduates and feel that an engineering degree may provide more job security.
thatoneguy6531
So I've been accepted to Queens and Mcmaster for engineering and waterloo for physics and this decision is killing me. I think I've narrowed it down to either queens or McMaster mainly because they both offer an engineering physics specialization which appealed to me because I originally wanted to do physics but realized getting a job doing physics with a physics degree is highly unlikely.

Anyways I'm just looking for some input that might help me decide. Which university has a better reputation for engineering/physics and does it even matter? If I end up doing well, I might decide to pursue graduate studies so that's another thing to take into account.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hear Queen's Engineering Physics is top 3 in the world. Anyways, first you should decide if you want to go into physics or engineering. Go into engineering if you can imagine your life not doing physics.

glueball8 said:
I hear Queen's Engineering Physics is top 3 in the world.

Not really... Maybe in Canada.

I was in a similar situation many moons ago, having applied to both McMaster and Queens out of high school (although I specifically wanted to go through for physics). Both are very good schools - to the point where "reputation" should not be a deciding factor for you.

One thing that helped me decide was looking through the course calendar of each school. I planned out the courses that I wanted to take over the four years, looking at required coursework and optional courses and in the end McMaster had the more interesting set of courses (for me, at the time).

Beyond that I also took the time to visit and tour both schools and that helped. Another thing that helped me decide was the club opportunities. I ended up joining McMaster's emergency first response team and really enjoyed that experience. I knew that I wanted that opportunity as soon as I heard about it.

I would rather do physics but the possibility of becoming one of those people with a bsc in physics and not being able to find a job scares me. I have looked at all the courses I would be taking and they're both very similar. Queens also offers some more interesting programs like eng Chem and the eng/applied math which I find appealing

You are not planning to go to graduate school?

I would like to go to graduate school but I have no idea how well I'll do in university. I do well in high school but grades are inflated nowadays so its hard to tell. I figure with an engineering degree I won't be screwed if I can't get into grad school.

Related to Trying to decide on a university

What factors should I consider when trying to decide on a university?

There are several factors that you should consider when trying to decide on a university. These include the academic programs offered, the location and campus environment, the cost and financial aid options, the reputation and ranking of the university, and the opportunities for extracurricular activities and internships.

How do I know if a university is the right fit for me?

The best way to determine if a university is the right fit for you is to visit the campus and attend an open house or tour. This will give you a chance to experience the campus environment, talk to current students and professors, and get a feel for the overall atmosphere. You can also research the university's values and mission statement to see if they align with your own.

What are the benefits of attending a large university versus a small university?

Attending a large university often means a wider range of academic programs and more resources, such as research opportunities and state-of-the-art facilities. On the other hand, attending a small university can provide a more personalized and intimate learning experience with smaller class sizes and more individual attention from professors.

Should I prioritize a university's ranking when making my decision?

While a university's ranking can be a helpful factor to consider, it should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. It's important to also consider other factors such as the academic programs, campus environment, and opportunities for personal and professional growth. Ultimately, the best university for you is one that aligns with your academic and personal goals.

How can I afford to attend a university?

There are various options for financing your education, such as scholarships, grants, student loans, and work-study programs. It's important to research and apply for as many financial aid opportunities as possible. You can also consider attending a community college for the first two years and then transferring to a four-year university to save on costs. Additionally, many universities offer payment plans and financial aid counseling to help make attending college more affordable.