True Or False: Symmetry, anti-symmetric, asymmetry.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of symmetry, anti-symmetry, and asymmetry in relation to a given set X and how they relate to each other. It is stated that lack of symmetry does not necessarily mean lack of anti-symmetry or asymmetry. The example of set X: {(1,1)} in the set of real numbers is given as an example of a relation that is both anti-symmetric and symmetric.
ktheo

Homework Statement

State whether the following are true or false. If false, give a counter-example:

1. ≽ is not symmetric [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] ≽ is not asymmetric
2. ≽ is not symmetric [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] ≽ is not antisymmetric
3. ≽ is not antisymmetric [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] ≽ is not asymmetric

Homework Equations

Symmetric:
For any x,y[itex]\in[/itex]X, x≽y [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] y≽x

Antisymmetric:
For any x,y[itex]\in[/itex]X, x≽y and y≽x and x=y

Asymmetric:
For any x,y[itex]\in[/itex]X, x≽y[itex]\neq[/itex]y≽x

The Attempt at a Solution

1. False. Lack of symmetry does not mean you can't be asymmetrical. Lack of symmetry in which x≽y [itex]\neq[/itex]y≽x is the very definition of anti-symmetry.

2. False. Lacking symmetry does not mean you lack anti-symmetry. I don't know how to explain this one.

3. True. A relation is asymmetric if and only if it is anti-symmetric. I can however, be anti-symmetric and not be asymmetric.

Could you guys look this over and give me some guidance on number 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: When you have "not" on both sides of the implication, use the contrapositive instead.

verty said:
Hint: When you have "not" on both sides of the implication, use the contrapositive instead.

Okay. So by that I assume you mean just prove that when I am anti-symmetric, I can be symmetric.

So could I say that given the set X: {(1,1)} in ℝ Is both anti-symmetric and symmetric?

Related to True Or False: Symmetry, anti-symmetric, asymmetry.

What is symmetry?

Symmetry is a property in which an object or system remains unchanged when it is rotated, reflected, or translated. In other words, it has a balanced and harmonious arrangement of parts.

What is anti-symmetry?

Anti-symmetry is a relationship between two elements in which if one element is present, the other is absent, and vice versa. In other words, they are mutually exclusive.

What is asymmetry?

Asymmetry is the absence of symmetry. It is a lack of balance or symmetry in an object or system.

How can you determine if something is symmetric or anti-symmetric?

To determine if something is symmetric, you can check if it remains unchanged after being rotated, reflected, or translated. To determine if something is anti-symmetric, you can check if two elements are mutually exclusive.

What are some examples of symmetry, anti-symmetric, and asymmetry?

Examples of symmetry include a butterfly's wings, a snowflake, and a circle. Examples of anti-symmetric include light switches, on/off buttons, and male/female symbols. Examples of asymmetry include a tree, a human face, and a natural rock formation.