Trough - Related Rates Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a related rates problem involving a trough with specific dimensions and a rate of water flow. The goal is to find the derivatives of the area and volume equations in terms of the depth of the water, with a given value for h. The equations were provided by the teacher and can be checked using the given dimensions. The solution involves differentiating the equations and setting them equal to each other to find the relation between the derivatives of volume and depth.
BlackSheep987
Okay so I have this related rates problem for my AP Calculus Class
A trough (Extruded Trapezoid) with a height of 2, Base 1 (bottom) of 2, Base 2 (top) of 6 and a extrusion of 10.
(I provided a picture for better understanding)
--------------------------------------…
A = Area of the top surface of the Water
h = Depth of water
V = Volume of Water
The trough empties at a rate of 5 ft^3/min
I have to find dA/dt and dV/dt when h = 1/2 ft

Our teacher gave us the A and V equations in terms of h
A = 10(2+2h)
V = 20 + 10h^2

I need help understanding how he got to the formulas above from the regular Area and Volume Equations
I also need help getting the correct answer when h = 1/2 ft ( I don't know where to get a value for dh/dt)

Here is a link to the picture
http://i.imgur.com/YjXzJ.png

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BlackSheep987 said:
Okay so I have this related rates problem for my AP Calculus Class
A trough (Extruded Trapezoid) with a height of 2, Base 1 (bottom) of 2, Base 2 (top) of 6 and a extrusion of 10.
(I provided a picture for better understanding)
A = Area of the top surface of the Water
h = Depth of water
V = Volume of Water
The trough empties at a rate of 5 ft^3/min
I have to find dA/dt and dV/dt when h = 1/2 ft

Our teacher gave us the A and V equations in terms of h
A = 10(2+2h)
V = 20 + 10h^2

I need help understanding how he got to the formulas above from the regular Area and Volume Equations
I also need help getting the correct answer when h = 1/2 ft ( I don't know where to get a value for dh/dt)

Here is a link to the picture
http://i.imgur.com/YjXzJ.png

Thanks

Look at the end of the trough and suppose the water has depth h. Do you see from the geometry that the length of the waterline is 2 + 2h?

Then by the formula for the area of a trapezoid, the wetted area of the end is ?
Then the volume of the water is 10 times that value.

That should give you the volume of the water as a function of h. You can check you have it right to see if you get his formula whan h = 2. You differentiate your V,h equation with respect to t to get a relation between dV/dt and dh/dt.

Similarly, but easier, for the surface area.

Related to Trough - Related Rates Problem

What is a trough-related rates problem?

A trough-related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a certain variable with respect to time. This variable is usually the water level in a trough that is being filled or drained at a given rate.

What are the key components of a trough-related rates problem?

The key components of a trough-related rates problem are the trough itself, the rate at which water is entering or leaving the trough, and the rate at which the water level is changing. These components are used to set up and solve a mathematical equation to find the rate of change of the water level.

How do you solve a trough-related rates problem?

To solve a trough-related rates problem, you first need to identify the given information and the desired rate of change. Then, set up a mathematical equation using the given information and the related rates formula (dV/dt = A * dh/dt), where dV/dt is the rate of change of the volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the trough, and dh/dt is the rate of change of the water level. Finally, solve the equation to find the desired rate of change.

What are some real-life applications of trough-related rates problems?

Trough-related rates problems have many real-life applications, such as determining the rate at which water is flowing into or out of a tank, predicting the rate at which a swimming pool will fill or drain, and calculating the rate at which a reservoir is being filled or emptied.

What are some common mistakes when solving trough-related rates problems?

Some common mistakes when solving trough-related rates problems include not correctly identifying and labeling the given information and rates, not setting up the mathematical equation correctly, and not using the correct formula for related rates. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all steps for accuracy when solving these types of problems.