Help on Related Rates implicit differentiation

In summary, the height of a right angled triangle is increasing at a rate of 5cm/min while the area is constant. To solve for the time rate of change of the base, you need to differentiate the equation, and you get -1 cm/min.
riri
Hi!

I recently came upon this problem : the height of a right angled triangle is increasing at a rate of 5cm/min while the area is constant. How fast must the base be decreasing at the moment when the height is 5 times the base?

I drew a picture of the triangle, labelled the height (h) and base (b)... area of a triangle = 1/2bh correct?
And it also states I should use PRODUCT RULE.

Now what I'm confused about is how to proceed. I have to find \d{b}{dt} and was wondering if there's a simple way to do this? dh/dt = 5cm/min and I'm a bit confused on how to write the next part of the equation and how to solve this step by step.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin, as you did, by stating the formula for the area $A$ of a triangle which involves the height $h$ and the base $b$ (but in a slightly different form):

\(\displaystyle 2A=bh\)

Now, we know that both $b$ and $h$ are changing over time, and so will be represented as functions of time, and so what do we get when we differentiate both sides of the equation w.r.t time $t$ (keeping in mind that $A$ is a constant)?

Hi! :)

Okay so if A is a constant and you differentiate, would I get : 2= (\d{db}{dt})h+(\d{dh}{dt})b ??
And since h= 5b
I just insert h into the h in the equation above??

riri said:
Hi! :)

Okay so if A is a constant and you differentiate, would I get : 2= (\d{db}{dt})h+(\d{dh}{dt})b ??
And since h= 5b
I just insert h into the h in the equation above??

Hello! (Wave)

First, you need to enclose your $\LaTeX$ codes within tags, and the easiest way is to click the $\Sigma$ button on the editor toolbar, and then put your code in between the generated [MATH][/MATH] tags.

Next, when using the \d command, you only need to put the variables within the braces, for example:

\d{y}{x}

results in:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}\)

Now, when something remains constant with respect to a certain variable, in this case time $t$, then it does not change, and so its derivative with respect to that variable will be zero, and so you would have:

\(\displaystyle 0=b\d{h}{t}+\d{b}{t}h\)

Since we are asked about the time rate of change of $b$, we want to solve this for \(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\)...what do we get?

\(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\)h+5b=0

Is what I got! (I hope I'm doing the tags correctly this time:) )
and then I isolated \(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\) and ended up with... -1 !
Is this the correct process?

Thank you!

riri said:
\(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\)h+5b=0

Is what I got! (I hope I'm doing the tags correctly this time:) )
and then I isolated \(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\) and ended up with... -1 !
Is this the correct process?

Thank you!

You should enclose the entire equation within the tags. :)

I would write (solving for \(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}\)):

\(\displaystyle \d{b}{t}=-\frac{b}{h}\d{h}{t}\)

This was we have a formula that we can now plug in the given values...

And so (using $h=5b$):

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{b}{t}\right|_{h=5b}=-\frac{b}{5b}\d{h}{t}=-\frac{1}{5}\d{h}{t}\)

Now, plug in the given value \(\displaystyle \d{h}{t}=5\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{min}}\):

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{b}{t}\right|_{h=5b}=-\frac{1}{5}\left(5\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{min}}\right)=-1\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{min}}\)

So, you got the correct answer, I just wanted to demonstrate how to preserve the units. :)

Related to Help on Related Rates implicit differentiation

What is "Help on Related Rates implicit differentiation"?

"Help on Related Rates implicit differentiation" is a topic in calculus that deals with finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves using implicit differentiation to solve problems involving changing quantities and their relationships.

How do I use implicit differentiation to solve related rates problems?

To use implicit differentiation, you first need to identify the variables involved and their relationships. Then, you can take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time. This will give you an equation that relates the rates of change of the variables. You can then solve for the unknown rate using the given values.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation for related rates?

One common mistake is to forget to take the derivative of both sides of the equation. Another mistake is to not substitute the given values correctly, leading to an incorrect solution. It is also important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

Do I need to use implicit differentiation for all related rates problems?

No, not all related rates problems require the use of implicit differentiation. Some problems can be solved using other techniques such as the chain rule or the product rule. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine the best approach to solve it.

How can I practice and improve my skills in solving related rates problems using implicit differentiation?

You can practice by solving various related rates problems and checking your solutions. There are also many resources available online that provide additional practice problems and step-by-step solutions. Working with a tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful in improving your skills in this topic.