Troubleshooting F = q v B sin(theta) Calculation

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the force using the equation F = qvBsin(theta). The angle theta is determined to be pi/2 - pi/6 and the resulting force is calculated to be 129.9 micro Newton. The conversation then shifts to discussing Kirchhoff's current law, with the person seeking help starting a new thread for their question.
MichaelTam
Homework Statement
Exercise
Relevant Equations
## F = q v B sin(theta) ##, q=10mC for the airplane , the other statement are in the picture below.
I use the equation find that ## F = q v B sin(theta) ##
F = 0.01*300*5*10^-5*0.5
F =75 N
I don’t know why my solution is not correct?

Attachments

• 7FF70F5A-B80C-43AF-88B1-CCEB50C0373E.png
    7FF70F5A-B80C-43AF-88B1-CCEB50C0373E.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 86
Physics news on Phys.org
MichaelTam said:
Homework Statement:: Exercise
Relevant Equations:: ## F = q v B sin(theta) ##, q=10mC for the airplane , the other statement are in the picture below.

I use the equation find that ## F = q v B sin(theta) ##
F = 0.01*300*5*10^-5*0.5
F =75 N
I don’t know why my solution is not correct?
Your attachment does not seem to show the whole question. It does not ask for the magnitude of the force and does not specify a charge.

Sorry , these are the updates.

Attachments

• 134D2273-964F-4E7B-90BF-38A2EDE5BAD1.png
    134D2273-964F-4E7B-90BF-38A2EDE5BAD1.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 78
In the formula ## F = q v B sin(theta) ##, what is theta?
How does that compare with ##\alpha## in the diagram?

Likes MichaelTam
Theta is ##pi/2 - pi/6##

So I get 129.9 micro Newton .

Likes Delta2
Thanks a lot!

Likes Delta2
But why theta is pi/2-pi/6. Thanks a lot.

IloveMathPhychembio said:
But why theta is pi/2-pi/6. Thanks a lot.
What is the angle between vectors ##\mathbf{v}## and ##\mathbf{B}##? Remember that the vectors must be placed tail-to-tail.

kuruman said:
What is the angle between vectors ##\mathbf{v}## and ##\mathbf{B}##? Remember that the vectors must be placed tail-to-tail.
Thanks for your help and BTW do you know smth about kirchhoff's current law I've watch sooooo much videos about it and I don't understand why.

Thanks for your help and BTW do you know smth about kirchhoff's current law I've watch sooooo much videos about it and I don't understand why.
Thanks a lot for your help too 🙏👍😁

I do know smth about Kirchhoff laws, but if u want to ask a question about them, u have to start a new thrd.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
I opened the thread called charge on cloud coulomb law cause I’ve finish the question by researching online day and night but thanks for your nice help and can you help me to deal with the new question🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Related to Troubleshooting F = q v B sin(theta) Calculation

What is the formula for calculating F = q v B sin(theta)?

The formula for calculating F = q v B sin(theta) is used to determine the force experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. It is represented by the product of the charge of the particle (q), its velocity (v), the strength of the magnetic field (B), and the sine of the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector (theta).

How is the direction of the force determined in F = q v B sin(theta)?

The direction of the force in F = q v B sin(theta) is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the velocity vector, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field vector, then the force will be perpendicular to both and will be in the direction your fingers curl.

What are the units of measurement for each variable in F = q v B sin(theta)?

The units of measurement for each variable in F = q v B sin(theta) are as follows: charge (q) is measured in coulombs (C), velocity (v) is measured in meters per second (m/s), magnetic field (B) is measured in teslas (T), and the angle (theta) is measured in radians (rad).

What are some common sources of error when calculating F = q v B sin(theta)?

Some common sources of error when calculating F = q v B sin(theta) include incorrect values for the charge, velocity, or magnetic field, as well as miscalculating the angle between the velocity and magnetic field vectors. It is important to double-check all values and ensure that the angle is measured accurately.

How is F = q v B sin(theta) used in scientific research and applications?

F = q v B sin(theta) is used in a variety of scientific research and applications, such as in particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and in the study of charged particles in space. It is also used in the development of technologies such as electric motors and generators.