Troubleshooting Answers to Easy Physics Questions on LON-CAPA

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a system called LON-CAPA for completing homework and the difficulty of getting the answers accepted. It also includes a discussion about solving three physics questions, with the first two having correct answers and the third requiring further calculation and possible rounding errors.
Mert Kerem Yavuz
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hey guys, hello. There is a system belongs in internet called LON-CAPA, and my teacher told that homeworks are done via that system. So I logged in, the questions are not that difficult to solve. But system doesn't accept some of my answers which I'm so sure that being true. So I'm going to write 3 easy questions for you, I'm just wondering if I did a mistake or not. Here we go.

1 - The position of an object as a function of time is given as x = At3 + Bt2 + Ct + D. The constants are A = 2.31 m/s3, B = 1.07 m/s2, C = -4.91 m/s, and D = 3.45 m.
Q-1 What is the acceleration of the object at t = 0.357 s?
(MY ANSWER IS 7,088 m/s^2)

2- A ball is thrown straight upward in the air at a speed of 17.1 m/s. Ignore air resistance.
Q-2.1 What is the maximum height the ball will reach?
(MY ANSWER IS 14,92m)

Q-2.2 How long will it take to reach 2.31 m above its initial position on the way down?
(MY ANSWER IS 3,34s)

Thank you guys for you answers already!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
Hey guys, hello. There is a system belongs in internet called LON-CAPA, and my teacher told that homeworks are done via that system. So I logged in, the questions are not that difficult to solve. But system doesn't accept some of my answers which I'm so sure that being true. So I'm going to write 3 easy questions for you, I'm just wondering if I did a mistake or not. Here we go.

1 - The position of an object as a function of time is given as x = At3 + Bt2 + Ct + D. The constants are A = 2.31 m/s3, B = 1.07 m/s2, C = -4.91 m/s, and D = 3.45 m.
Q-1 What is the acceleration of the object at t = 0.357 s?
(MY ANSWER IS 7,088 m/s^2)

2- A ball is thrown straight upward in the air at a speed of 17.1 m/s. Ignore air resistance.
Q-2.1 What is the maximum height the ball will reach?
(MY ANSWER IS 14,92m)

Q-2.2 How long will it take to reach 2.31 m above its initial position on the way down?
(MY ANSWER IS 3,34s)

Thank you guys for you answers already!
I agree with your first two answers but not the third. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
I agree with your first two answers but not the third. Please post your working.

I solved this in two steps. First, I calculated the landing time.

I calculated g=9.8 m/s^2.
V= Vo+g*t
0=17.1+(9.8)*t
tlanding=1.744 s (landing time)

Then, i calculated the time between the maximum height position to 2,31 m above ground position.maximum height=14,92 m (Found it another question, which you said that you found it too)
14.92-2.31=12.61 m to go down
X=Vo*t+(1/2)*g*t^2
12.61=0+(1/2)*9.8*t^2
t=1.6 s

t1+t2=3.34 s (whole process)

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
I solved this in two steps. First, I calculated the landing time.

I calculated g=9.8 m/s^2.
V= Vo+g*t
0=17.1+(9.8)*t
tlanding=1.744 s (landing time)

Then, i calculated the time between the maximum height position to 2,31 m above ground position.maximum height=14,92 m (Found it another question, which you said that you found it too)
14.92-2.31=12.61 m to go down
X=Vo*t+(1/2)*g*t^2
12.61=0+(1/2)*9.8*t^2
t=1.6 s

t1+t2=3.34 s (whole process)
Ok, I found my mistake, but it is nearer to 3.35. You may have got a bit of rounding error because you calculated two stages and added them together. That is not necessary. You can solve it in one step with s=ut+1/2 at2. You just have to pick the larger root of the quadratic.

haruspex said:
Ok, I found my mistake, but it is nearer to 3.35. You may have got a bit of rounding error because you calculated two stages and added them together. That is not necessary. You can solve it in one step with s=ut+1/2 at2. You just have to pick the larger root of the quadratic.

So in conclusion, you tell me that you found around 3.34,-3.35. So system must accept my answers cause the answer don't have to be the absolute true. In my other calculations, it accepted answers like 7,1 which's true answer is 7,15.

[Mod note: Please note that I have changed the thread title to better reflect the thread content. Pleas for help are not descriptive of the physics to be discussed and not allowed as thread titles]

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
So in conclusion, you tell me that you found around 3.34,-3.35. So system must accept my answers cause the answer don't have to be the absolute true. In my other calculations, it accepted answers like 7,1 which's true answer is 7,15.
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Thanks, really appreciate it.

Related to Troubleshooting Answers to Easy Physics Questions on LON-CAPA

What is LON-CAPA?

LON-CAPA is an open-source, web-based learning content management system used primarily in higher education. It allows instructors to create and share online assessments, homework assignments, and course materials.

How can LON-CAPA be used for physics?

LON-CAPA includes a variety of tools and features specifically designed for physics education. These include equation editors, graphing tools, and built-in physics question types. Instructors can also upload their own physics problems and customize the grading and feedback options.

What are some common issues when troubleshooting physics questions on LON-CAPA?

Some common issues when troubleshooting physics questions on LON-CAPA include formatting errors, incorrect answer choices, and technical issues such as slow loading times or errors in the system. It is important to carefully review and test all questions before assigning them to students.

How can I ensure that my students are receiving accurate feedback on their physics questions in LON-CAPA?

To ensure accurate feedback, it is important to thoroughly test and review all questions before assigning them to students. Additionally, LON-CAPA offers a preview mode that allows instructors to view the questions and feedback as a student would. It is also helpful to have a colleague or peer review the questions for accuracy.

Are there any resources available to help with troubleshooting physics questions on LON-CAPA?

Yes, LON-CAPA has a comprehensive user manual available online that includes troubleshooting tips and tutorials. Additionally, there are online forums and support communities where instructors can ask questions and get assistance from other users.