Troubleshooting: Android Studio Not Opening on Windows 8 - No JDK Found

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary: If you want to save your project as something other than ShowLong.java, you need to specify the name of the project file when you create the project in Android Studio. To do this, select New Project from the Android Studio main menu, and then select Android Application Project. Enter the project name, application domain (for example, com.example), and project location (for example, C:\Users\username\Documents\Android\Android Studio\projects\ShowLong).Android Studio can compile and run your Java application.
Math10
I have installed the Android Studio but whenever I open it, it says no JDK was found and it told me to install a 32-bit JDK. I'm using Windows 8. But I already have installed JDK and created a path in Environment Variables. In the variable name, I put JAVA_HOME and in the variable value, I put C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin but it still told me to install a 32-bit JDK. What's wrong?

Technology news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should be putting it under the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, since it is 32 bit.

How do I put it there? If I put it there, will it work?

If you installed a 32 bit jdk, it should already be there. Right now you have JAVA_HOME pointed at the 64 bit jdk. I bet that if you point JAVA_HOME to your 32 bit installation, (which is what android studio apparently needs), then it will work.

So what do I do now?

Math10 said:
So what do I do now?
Uh, try starting android studio?

You might also want to check if you downloaded the Android SDK and that you have pointed the ANDROID_HOME variable to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\. For my setup I have JAVA_HOME pointed to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk[VERSION NUMBER], and ANDROID_HOME set up as above.

So I changed my variable value for JAVA_HOME and I set up the ANDROID_HOME variable with the above variable value but it says "The environment variable JAVA_HOME with the value of ... doesn't point to a valid JVM installation.

My PC's operating system is 32 bit, x64-based processor when I checked the computer's properties in the start menu.

Math10 said:
I put JAVA_HOME and in the variable value, I put C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin
JAVA_HOME shouldn't point at the bin directory. Set it to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40 instead. Only your PATH variable should point at the bin directory.

Likes Math10 and TheDemx27
I did as you said but it still won't work, it still says the same thing.

Are you sure you downloaded the 32-bit version of JDK?

I'm not sure. What should I do now?

Math10 said:
I did as you said but it still won't work, it still says the same thing.
The same thing as your first post (install a JRE) or post 8 (JVM isn't valid)?

Likes Math10
The environment variable JAVA_HOME with the value C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin doesn't point to a valid JVM installation.

Math10 said:
The environment variable JAVA_HOME with the value C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin doesn't point to a valid JVM installation.
Your JAVA_HOME value does NOT have the \bin part and it's still telling you that it's not a valid JVM? Have you verified that it's there and hasn't been moved? Also, watch carefully for copying mistakes like missing or extra spaces. I would copy your JAVA_HOME value and enter it directly into your Windows Explorer to make sure that it's correct.

Likes Math10
Okay, you know what? It worked! Now I'm waiting for the wizard for downloading Android SDK tools! Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciated it!

Math10 said:
Okay, you know what? It worked! Now I'm waiting for the wizard for downloading Android SDK tools! Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciated it!
Excellent! :w

Likes Math10
But can you compile and run an android application in android studio?

Math10 said:
But can you compile and run an android application in android studio?
I assume that you can but I haven't used it before.

So after you developed an android app in android studio, can you upload the app in the android developer account process? And how do you get your revenue (income)? Assuming a free app with in-app purchases.

I just installed the Android Studio and want to write my Java application in it. But when I opened the android studio and clicked on start a new android studio project, what should I put for the application name and the company domain and the project location? Let's say that I'm about to write a Java application and want to save it as ShowLong.java, what should the application name be? And can android studio compile and run my Java application?

If you have no idea how to use this, why do you think people would buy anything from you? We are not here to teach you. Learn this, then if you have a specific question, come back and ask that specific question.

Likes phinds and Medicol

Related to Troubleshooting: Android Studio Not Opening on Windows 8 - No JDK Found

1. Why won't Android Studio open on my computer?

There could be several reasons why Android Studio is not opening on your computer. It could be due to a corrupted installation, outdated software, insufficient memory or processing power, or a bug in the program. It is recommended to check for updates, restart your computer, and try reinstalling the software to see if it resolves the issue.

2. How can I fix the "Android Studio won't open" error?

First, try restarting your computer and updating the software. If that does not work, try deleting the "Android Studio" folder in your computer's "AppData" directory and then reinstalling the software. You can also try running the program in compatibility mode or as an administrator. If none of these solutions work, it could be a more complex issue and you may need to seek technical support.

3. What should I do if Android Studio is stuck on the loading screen?

This could be due to a slow or unstable internet connection, corrupted installation, or a bug in the program. Try restarting your computer and reconnecting to the internet. You can also try clearing the cache and data of the program or reinstalling it. If the issue persists, it is recommended to seek technical support.

4. Can I open Android Studio on a low-spec computer?

While Android Studio has minimum system requirements, it may still be possible to run it on a low-spec computer. However, the performance may be slower and you may encounter more errors. It is recommended to have at least 4GB of RAM and a processor with multiple cores for optimal performance.

5. Is there a way to recover lost work in Android Studio if it won't open?

If Android Studio crashes or fails to open, there is a chance that your work may still be saved. You can check for any saved files in the "AndroidStudioProjects" directory on your computer. If you have enabled automatic backups, you can also try restoring from one of those backups. If all else fails, you may need to start from the last saved version of your project or seek technical support for further assistance.