Troubleshooting a problem with a 30-Bus grid with Powerwolrd simulator

In summary, the conversation discusses troubleshooting a problem with the 30-Bus grid using Powerwolrd simulator version 15. The person is facing issues with the results, such as low voltages, different values for Reactive Power and bus angles, and is unsure of the reasons. They have checked the input data and attached a diagram, but are still unable to find a solution. The advice given is to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities, including the potential for incorrect input data. They suggest checking all constraints and line flows manually, as well as examining expectations and assumptions. It is noted that this advice applies to any software result, not just power load flows.
Serena_hm
Troubleshooting a problem ...Urgent please !

hello everyone ,

I'm working on 30-Bus grid with Powerwolrd simulator ( version 15 ) and I'm facing some troubles with the results ...I got some different values from the one I was expecting , such as low voltages on some of the buses , different values for Reactive Power and different bus angles...the thing is I'm not quite aware of the reasons .. why , I double checked the input data but still there is no use !

Is there any way I can troubleshoot the problem with the software itself !?
and do you recommend any suggestions based on the nature of the grid and its components ( the grid consists of 2 generators , several loads and Synchronous condensers ) I've already attached the diagram below ...thanks in advance .

Attachments

• IEEE 30-bus.jpg
    IEEE 30-bus.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 513
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You must keep your mind open to all possibilities, including that your expectations may be wrong.

You can look at every voltage, every line flow one by one. Are all the constraints met? For example, specified P and V at a gen bus? You can every check line flow calcs manually. How about the swing bus residuals.

The most likely error, is an error in your input data. Perhaps a wrong bus number someplace.

If all the calculated results look reasonable, then examine your expectations. What are they based on? How can you be sure they are correct? What are your assumptions? How can you be sure they are fulfilled?

Note that this troubleshooting advice applies to any software result, not just power load flows.

Low power or voltage problem seems like it would be coming from a generator or transformer...

Related to Troubleshooting a problem with a 30-Bus grid with Powerwolrd simulator

1. What is the first step in troubleshooting a problem with a 30-Bus grid with Powerworld simulator?

The first step in troubleshooting a problem with a 30-Bus grid with Powerworld simulator is to identify the specific issue or error that is occurring. This can be done by reviewing any error messages or warnings that appear in the simulation, as well as checking the system's operating parameters and data.

2. How do I determine if the problem is with the 30-Bus grid or with the Powerworld simulator itself?

To determine if the problem is with the 30-Bus grid or with the Powerworld simulator, you can try running a different simulation with a different grid or using a different power system simulation software. If the issue persists with a different grid or software, it is likely a problem with the Powerworld simulator. If the issue does not occur with a different grid or software, it is likely an issue with the 30-Bus grid itself.

3. Can I reset the 30-Bus grid to its default settings?

Yes, you can reset the 30-Bus grid to its default settings by clicking on the "Reset" button in the Powerworld simulator. This will reset all of the grid's parameters and data to their initial values.

4. How can I access the Powerworld simulator's documentation for troubleshooting assistance?

To access the Powerworld simulator's documentation for troubleshooting assistance, click on the "Help" button in the software. This will provide you with access to the user manual, tutorials, and other resources that can assist you in troubleshooting any issues with the 30-Bus grid.

5. What should I do if I am unable to resolve the problem with the 30-Bus grid using the Powerworld simulator?

If you are unable to resolve the problem with the 30-Bus grid using the Powerworld simulator, you may need to consult with other experts in the field, seek assistance from the Powerworld support team, or consider using a different power system simulation software. It is important to thoroughly document the issue and any troubleshooting steps you have already taken before seeking outside assistance.