Trouble with Integrating \cos^{5}7x\sin7x Using Substitution

In summary, Andrew is having trouble solving the integral \int\cos^{5}7x\sin7xdx by substitution, and has attempted to set u=\cos^{5}7x. He is unsure if this is the correct approach and is open to suggestions. Another person suggests using u = 7x as a substitution, which may simplify the problem.
AStaunton
trying to solve the following integral by substitution but having trouble:

[tex]\int\cos^{5}7x\sin7xdx[/tex]

I attempted to set [tex]u=\cos^{5}7x[/tex] and ended up with (by chain rule...which I hope is correct!):

[tex]du=-35\cos^{4}7x\sin7xdx[/tex]

This doesn't seem too helpful but can't think of a better substitution.

Any advice is appreciated

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using two substitutions. Problems are often made to work out in the end, so try to think of what substitution(s) you can make so things will start to simplify nicely. What if you first set [tex]u = 7x[/tex] first? Beautiful things might start to happen. ;)

Well, there's need for only one substitution. [itex] \cos 7 x =u [/itex]

True that, I tend to break it down more. Though I suppose you can make the argument that the more you break it down the more you have to put together.

Related to Trouble with Integrating \cos^{5}7x\sin7x Using Substitution

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals by making a substitution for the variable in the integrand. This allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

When is integration by substitution used?

Integration by substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a function that is not easily integrated, such as a polynomial or trigonometric function. It can also be used when the integrand contains a composite function, where one function is nested inside another.

What is the substitution process in integration by substitution?

The substitution process involves choosing a new variable to replace the original variable in the integrand. This new variable is then substituted into the integral, along with its derivative, in order to simplify the integral.

How do I choose the right substitution?

The key to choosing the right substitution is to look for patterns or similarities in the integrand. Some common substitutions include using u-substitution for polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions, and using inverse trigonometric functions for integrands containing radicals.

What are some tips for success with integration by substitution?

Here are a few tips to remember when using integration by substitution:

• Choose a substitution that simplifies the integral as much as possible
  • Always check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative
  • Practice, practice, practice - integration by substitution can be tricky, so the more you do it, the easier it will become.