Trouble Understanding Suborbitals

• Thread starter ccmetalhead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experience in their first college-level chemistry course and their struggle with understanding orbitals, suborbitals, and the Periodic Table of Elements. They ask for clarification on which orbital has the highest energy and how ionization, atomic radius, and electronegativity play a role. The conversation also mentions Koopmanns theorem and Mulliken's concept of electronegativity.
ccmetalhead
Hi. I'm currently taking my first chemistry course in at a college level. I'm still a bit new to it, alongside the fact that I missed a few weeks due to being out of town, but I'm excited to get into it. I want to have one of those "AHA" moments like I've experienced with math. Only thing is it seems to be quite a bit tougher. Right now I'm still trying to learn orbitals, suborbitals, and reading the Periodic Table of Elements.

One of my homework questions is asking me which of these orbitals has the highest energy: 4px, 3px, 2px, and 5px. I am guessing that it would be 5px assuming that we're still at a higher level orbital, but what about ionization, atomic radius, and electronegativity? How can I take all of these into account. Sorry if my question seems broad, but I'm honestly still trying to figure out where to start, and how I can visualize this and process it more efficiently. I'm lost...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
At least in hydrogen, the energy depends only on the main quantum number n as ##E\sim -1/n^2##. In many electron atoms, the energy also depends on the angular momentum quantum number, as orbitals with a lower angular momentum have a higher probability to be found near the nucleus where the charge of the nucleus is less shielded by the other electrons. Hence attraction and binding energy is also stronger.
According to Koopmanns theorem, the ionisation energy is approximately the negative of the energy of the highests occupied orbital in an atom.
The electronegativity according to Mulliken is proportional to the average energy of the highest occupied and the lowest unoccupied orbital.

What are suborbitals?

Suborbitals are regions in an atom where electrons are most likely to be found. They are defined by a specific energy level and shape, and they can hold a maximum of two electrons.

Why is it important to understand suborbitals?

Understanding suborbitals is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms. It helps scientists predict and explain the chemical bonding, reactivity, and physical properties of elements and molecules.

What makes suborbitals difficult to understand?

Suborbitals can be difficult to understand because they are abstract concepts and cannot be directly observed. Additionally, their behavior is described by complex mathematical equations, which can be challenging to comprehend.

How do suborbitals relate to the periodic table?

The arrangement of suborbitals within an atom directly corresponds to the structure of the periodic table. Each row in the table represents a different energy level, and each column represents a different type of suborbital.

How can one improve their understanding of suborbitals?

To improve understanding of suborbitals, it is recommended to study the mathematical equations that describe their behavior and to visualize them using models or diagrams. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and applying the concept to real-life examples.