Trouble understanding simple Galois Theory example

In summary, the Galois group for (Complex : Reals) is given by {e, y} where y is y: C-->C is the conjugation automorphism defined by y(z) = z~ (Conjugate of z) for all z in C. This is because the conjugation automorphism is the only possible non-trivial element in the group, as shown by the argument that o(i) can only equal i or -i.
PsychonautQQ
Show that the galois group for (Complex : Reals) is given by {e, y} where y is y: C-->C is the conjugation automorphism defined by y(z) = z~ (Conjugate of z) for all z in C.

if o is an element of gal(C:R) and z = a + bi in C, then o(z) = o(a+bi) = o(a)+o(b)o(i) = a+bo(i)
but o(i)^2 = o(i^2) = o(-1) = -1, so o(i) = i or o(i) = -1.

I am confused on why o(i) can ever equal i... isn't the conjugate of i going to be -1 every time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a typo at the end of the second paragarph? Your argument that ##o(i)^2 = -1## is fine, but this implies that ##o(i) = i## or ##o(i) = -i## (not ##-1##).

Then:

If ##o(i) = i##, then ##o## is the identity, because for an arbitrary element ##a+bi \in \mathbb{C}## we have ##o(a+bi) = o(a) + o(b)o(i) = a + bi##.

If ##o(i) = -i##, then ##o## is conjugation, because ##o(a+bi) = o(a) + o(b)o(i) = a - bi = \overline{a + bi}##.

Since these are the only two possibilities, the Galois group consists of the identity and the conjugation automorphism.

Likes PsychonautQQ and HallsofIvy

Related to Trouble understanding simple Galois Theory example

1. What is Galois Theory?

Galois Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties of field extensions, which are mathematical structures that extend the operations of addition and multiplication to a larger set of elements.

2. Why is Galois Theory important?

Galois Theory has many applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It is also essential for understanding the solvability of polynomial equations and the structure of finite fields.

3. How does Galois Theory relate to group theory?

Galois Theory is closely related to group theory because it uses the concept of groups to study field extensions. In particular, the Galois group of a field extension plays a crucial role in determining the solvability of polynomial equations.

4. What is a simple example of Galois Theory?

One simple example of Galois Theory is the study of the roots of the polynomial x^2 - 2 over the rational numbers. The Galois group of this polynomial is isomorphic to the group of order 2, which helps to understand the structure of its roots and the solvability of the equation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Galois Theory?

To improve your understanding of Galois Theory, it is essential to have a strong foundation in abstract algebra, particularly in the concepts of groups, fields, and field extensions. It is also helpful to work through various examples and practice problems to gain a better understanding of the theory.