ChatGPT Results: Testing Special Relativity

In summary, ChatGPT is a chatbot that is claimed to be able to understand natural language, but is apparently flawed in its ability to do so. It is not currently able to replace human teachers in the field of humanities, and may even enhance the threat of automation taking jobs in the near future.
epovo
Hi guys,
I have heard a lot of claims about ChatGPT and how it is going to put a lot of people out of work. I have a friend who is a teacher of humanities and he is fearful of losing his job in the long term. People seem to be in awe at the thing and think it understand what is saying. So I decided to give it a go with a simple problem in Special Relativity and see what it comes out. It's funny because of the contrast between the authoritative tone it uses and the load of crap it produces. Judge for yourselves!

Q: An observer A sees a second observer B move along the x-axis at 90% of the speed of light. B sees an object O move along the y-axis at 80% of the speed of light. What is the speed and direction of O as measured by A?

A: To find the speed and direction of object O as measured by observer A, we can use the relativistic velocity addition formula:

v' = (v + u) / (1 + vu/c^2)

where v is the velocity of observer B relative to observer A along the x-axis (0.9c), u is the velocity of object O relative to observer B along the y-axis (0.8c), and c is the speed of light.

Substituting these values into the formula, we get:

v' = (0.9c + 0.8c) / (1 + 0.9c * 0.8c/c^2) = 1.64c / 1.72 = 0.9535c

Therefore, object O is moving at a speed of 0.9535 times the speed of light as measured by observer A. To determine the direction of O's motion as measured by observer A, we can use the Lorentz transformation equations as before:

x' = γ(x - vt)
y' = y
z' = γ(z - vt)
t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)

Since observer B sees object O moving only along the y-axis, we can set x = z = 0 in the transformation equations. Solving for y' and t', we get:

y' = y
t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)

Therefore, object O is moving perpendicular to the x-axis in observer A's frame of reference, i.e., along the y-axis. The negative sign in the previous answer indicates that O is moving in the opposite direction to B's motion along the x-axis, so we can conclude that object O is moving in the negative y-direction as measured by observer A.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
It's definitely not "there" yet for many cases, but imagine 5 years from now. Note that Wolfram Alpha just released an early access plugin for ChatGPT. That will immediately level up the calculation power.

• Wow
Likes topsquark, russ_watters and Wrichik Basu
I think this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding, which is not surprising being, as it is, a language model. If I am not mistaken the Wolfram Alpha plugin intends to make life easier for the user when expressing the problem that they want Wolfram Alpha to solve, not to enhance the problem-solving capabilities of the tool.

Likes topsquark, russ_watters and Greg Bernhardt
The threat at least near term of AI taking jobs is not that AI as an independent agent will do it but rather that those that can use AI effectively will. In any event, AI will reduce the number of jobs currently available.

Likes Filip Larsen, russ_watters and epovo
I agree that the threat is real for certain jobs

gleem said:
AI will reduce the number of jobs currently available.
I had to read that a few times to be sure I agreed, and it depends on what you mean by "currently available". Yes, it will reduce the number of workers needed to accomplish certain tasks today, as automation always has. So when looking from today there will be fewer "current" workers needed. But of course they won't be unemployed, they will just get different jobs or be more productive, the same effect automation has always had.
epovo said:
Hi guys,
I have heard a lot of claims about ChatGPT and how it is going to put a lot of people out of work. I have a friend who is a teacher of humanities and he is fearful of losing his job in the long term.
I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. The job of a humanities teacher is to teach other humans art, literature, etc. and judge their understanding (while the students interact with them and other human students). That job inherently has to be done by a human teacher, in a classroom, with a group of human students.

You can't replace that with a chat-bot. At the very least you need a true human-replacement sentient AI.

It's similar to one of the the reasons why movies still use human actors. It matters to audiences that you're watching Sigourney Weaver and not just a cartoon that looks a little like her (and yes, the simulations arent quite ready yet either).

That's the flaw in self-learning we constantly point out in the academic forums, and so far nothing I've seen implies a change on the horizon.

Last edited:

1. What is ChatGPT?

ChatGPT is a natural language processing (NLP) tool that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to generate human-like text responses based on input prompts.

2. How does ChatGPT test special relativity?

ChatGPT uses a combination of NLP techniques and data from scientific experiments to simulate conversations about special relativity and test the theory's predictions.

3. What are the results of ChatGPT's testing of special relativity?

The results of ChatGPT's testing of special relativity show that the theory accurately predicts the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and the concept of time dilation.

4. Can ChatGPT be used for other scientific theories?

Yes, ChatGPT can be used to test other scientific theories by inputting prompts related to the theory and analyzing the generated responses for consistency and accuracy.

5. How can ChatGPT's results be used in the scientific community?

ChatGPT's results can be used to validate and support the evidence for special relativity, as well as potentially identify areas for further research and experimentation.