Trouble of getting t-value from t-distribution table

• Thread starter tzx9633
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a percentage of 0.05 using a t-distribution table with a given value of v=45. There is a suggestion to use interpolation, but it is determined that using the value of v=50 will be more accurate. The conversation also mentions the availability of better tables online for this type of calculation. Finally, there is a question about the use of t(50) as a possible option, leaving the decision up to the reader.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

How to find percentage = 0.05 , while v = 45 using t -distribution table ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should i use interploation or just use percentage = 0.05 , while v = 50 to get the t value for percentage = 0.05 , while v = 45 ?

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,967
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i should just use use percentage = 0.05 , while v = 50 , correct me if i am wrong

tzx9633 said:
I think i should just use use percentage = 0.05 , while v = 50 , correct me if i am wrong

It might be OK in practice, but is not really correct. We have ##t(40) = 1.684## but ##t(45) = 1.679##. However, both of these round to the same value ##1.68## to three significant figures. So: you decide!

There are better tables available on-line; it just needs you to do a search.

Ray Vickson said:
It might be OK in practice, but is not really correct. We have ##t(40) = 1.684## but ##t(45) = 1.679##. However, both of these round to the same value ##1.68## to three significant figures. So: you decide!

There are better tables available on-line; it just needs you to do a search.
how about ##t(50) ## ? can i use this ?

tzx9633 said:
how about ##t(50) ## ? can i use this ?
You tell me.

Related to Trouble of getting t-value from t-distribution table

1. What is a t-value and why is it important?

A t-value, also known as a t-statistic, is a measure of the difference between a sample mean and a population mean, adjusted for sample size and variability. It is used in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of a sample mean. It is important because it helps researchers determine if the results of a study are due to chance or if they are actually meaningful.

2. How is a t-value calculated?

A t-value is calculated by taking the difference between the sample mean and the population mean, dividing it by the standard deviation of the sample, and then multiplying it by the square root of the sample size. This formula is represented as t = (x̄ - μ) / (s / √n), where x̄ is the sample mean, μ is the population mean, s is the standard deviation of the sample, and n is the sample size.

3. What is a t-distribution table?

A t-distribution table is a mathematical table that provides critical values for the t-distribution, which is a probability distribution used in statistical analysis. It is used to determine the probability of obtaining a certain t-value or a more extreme value under the null hypothesis.

4. When should I use a t-distribution table?

A t-distribution table should be used when conducting a hypothesis test for a small sample size (typically less than 30) and when the population standard deviation is unknown. It is also used when the data does not follow a normal distribution.

5. How do I use a t-distribution table to find a t-value?

To use a t-distribution table, first determine the degrees of freedom, which is equal to the sample size minus 1. Then, locate the row that corresponds to the degrees of freedom and the column that corresponds to the desired level of significance. The value at the intersection of the row and column will be the critical t-value. If your calculated t-value is greater than the critical t-value, then the results are considered statistically significant.