Trivial group homomorphism from G to Q

• Thread starter tomkoolen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary: The requirements are that f be a one-to-one map, that every element of G be mapped to a unique element of H, and that H be a finite group.
tomkoolen
Member warned about posting without the template
Hello, I have to solve the following problem:

Show that a homomorphism from a finite group G to Q, the additive group of rational numbers is trivial, so for every g of G, f(g) = 0.

My work so far:

f(x+y) = f(x)+f(y)
I know that |G| = |ker(f)||Im(f)|

I think that somehow I have to find that Im(f) = 1 but I don't know how. Can anybody help me please?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
tomkoolen said:
Hello, I have to solve the following problem:

Show that a homomorphism from a finite group G to Q, the additive group of rational numbers is trivial, so for every g of G, f(g) = 0.

My work so far:

f(x+y) = f(x)+f(y)
I know that |G| = |ker(f)||Im(f)|

I think that somehow I have to find that Im(f) = 1 but I don't know how. Can anybody help me please?

Thanks in advance!
You could use the fact that every element of G has a finite period.

The only finite subgroup of the additive group of rational numbers is {0}. (NOT {1}!)

Okay I understand that, but now I only know that there is an isomorphism to Z/nZ with n the number of elements. Then I know that f is one-to-one, so |ker(f)| = 1 and Im(f) would equal n, but that's not what I need. Can you give me one more hint?

tomkoolen said:
Okay I understand that, but now I only know that there is an isomorphism to Z/nZ with n the number of elements. Then I know that f is one-to-one, so |ker(f)| = 1 and Im(f) would equal n, but that's not what I need. Can you give me one more hint?
Aren't you making this too complicated?
Take an element ##g \in G##. Then ##g^p=e## for some positive integer ##p##, ( ##e## is the identity of G) . What information can you glean from ##f(g^p)=f(e)##?

f(g^p) = f(e) so that is e of Q (= 0). And you can conclude that order(f(x)) is finite as well and then you can conclude that because {0} is the only finite subgroup of Q all elements of G will be mapped to 0?

Thanks for the help!

Likes Samy_A
I wasn't thinking that complicated! I would just use the fact that a homomorphism from group G to group H maps G to a subgroup of H.

HallsofIvy said:
I wasn't thinking that complicated! I would just use the fact that a homomorphism from group G to group H maps G to a subgroup of H.
Isn't this the same amount of work, sorry: line of proof? Because with that you have to prove your statement in #3.

What are the requirements for f to be a group homomorphism?

Related to Trivial group homomorphism from G to Q

1. What is a trivial group homomorphism from G to Q?

A trivial group homomorphism from G to Q is a function that maps every element of a group G to the identity element of a group Q. In other words, it is a homomorphism that does not change the structure or operations of the group G when mapped to the group Q.

2. How is a trivial group homomorphism different from a regular group homomorphism?

A regular group homomorphism preserves the structure and operations of the group it is mapping from, while a trivial group homomorphism maps all elements to the identity element of the group it is mapping to.

3. What is the significance of a trivial group homomorphism?

A trivial group homomorphism is significant because it helps define the concept of a homomorphism and its properties. It also highlights the importance of preserving the structure and operations of a group when mapping to another group.

4. Can a trivial group homomorphism be bijective?

No, a trivial group homomorphism cannot be bijective because it maps all elements of a group to a single element in another group, which violates the definition of a bijective function.

5. How is a trivial group homomorphism related to the kernel of a group homomorphism?

The kernel of a group homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain group that map to the identity element in the codomain group. In a trivial group homomorphism, all elements of the domain group are in the kernel, since they all map to the identity element in the codomain group.