Triple vector product with del

In summary: I don't know if you have covered this before but I don't know of an easier way:Write it in the component formalism:\nabla \times \left ( A \times B \right )This implies\epsilon _{ijk} ~ \epsilon _{kmn} ~ \partial _{j} ~ (A_m ~ B_n)-DanIn summary, the bac-cab rule won't work with the gradient operator.
ognik
I know the bac-cab rule, but add $\nabla$ and it's not so clear ..

applying it to $\nabla \times \left( A \times B \right) = A\left(\nabla \cdot B\right) - B\left(\nabla \cdot A\right) ...$, not quite

Please walk me through why the other 2 terms emerge ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I know the bac-cab rule, but add $\nabla$ and it's not so clear ..

applying it to $\nabla \times \left( A \times B \right) = A\left(\nabla \cdot B\right) - B\left(\nabla \cdot A\right) ...$, not quite

Please walk me through why the other 2 terms emerge ?
bac-cab won't work with the gradient operator. I don't know if you have covered this before but I don't know of an easier way:

Write it in the component formalism:
\(\displaystyle \nabla \times \left ( A \times B \right )\)

This implies
\(\displaystyle \epsilon _{ijk} ~ \epsilon _{kmn} ~ \partial _{j} ~ (A_m ~ B_n)\)

Take the derivative:
\(\displaystyle = \epsilon _{ijk} ~ \epsilon _{kmn} \left [ ( \partial _{j} ~ A_m) B_n + A_m ( \partial _{j} ~ B_n ) \right ] \)

Note the following alteration in the first \(\displaystyle \epsilon\) factor: \(\displaystyle \epsilon _{kij} = \epsilon _{ijk}\) (\(\displaystyle \epsilon\) is antisymmetric in a switch of coordinates and we are making two here.)
\(\displaystyle = \left ( \epsilon _{kij} ~ \epsilon _{kmn} \right ) \left [ ( \partial _{j} ~ A_m) B_n + A_m ( \partial _{j} ~ B_n ) \right ] \)

\(\displaystyle = \left ( \delta _{im} ~ \delta _{jn} - \delta _{in} ~ \delta _{jm} \right ) \left [ ( \partial _{j} ~ A_m) B_n + A_m ( \partial _{j} ~ B_n ) \right ] \)

\(\displaystyle = \left [ ( \partial _{j} ~ A_i ) B_j + A_i ( \partial _{j} ~ B_j ) \right ] - \left [ ( \partial _{j} ~ A_j ) B_i + A_j ( \partial _{j} ~ B_i ) \right ] \)

Moving the vectors around in each term where needed:
\(\displaystyle = B_j ~ \partial _{j} ~ A_i + A_i ~ \partial _{j} ~ B_j - B_i ~ \partial _{j} ~ A_j - A_j ~ \partial _{j} ~ B_i \)

Which implies:
\(\displaystyle \nabla \times \left ( A \times B \right ) = ( B \cdot \nabla ) A + A (\nabla \cdot B) - B( \nabla \cdot A) - (A \cdot \nabla ) B\)

-Dan

Interesting & ta, but why can't we apply bac-cab - del is a vector?

ognik said:
Interesting & ta, but why can't we apply bac-cab - del is a vector?
It's a vector, but it's also a differential operator. That means it has to have something to operate on. That is the source of the extra two terms in \(\displaystyle \nabla \times (A \times B)\) vs. \(\displaystyle A \times (B \times C)\).

-Dan

topsquark said:
bac-cab won't work with the gradient operator. I don't know if you have covered this before but I don't know of an easier way:

Write it in the component formalism:
\(\displaystyle \nabla \times \left ( A \times B \right )\)

This implies
\(\displaystyle \epsilon _{ijk} ~ \epsilon _{kmn} ~ \partial _{j} ~ (A_m ~ B_n)\)
-Dan
Indulge me please, I think I am undoing some 'wrong knowledge' here.

If I do this using the determinant ('cos it is easier for me to see), then expanding over the top row I would get: $ \partial_x\left( A_yB_z -A_zB_y \right) - \partial_y\left( A_xB_z -A_zB_x \right) + \partial_z\left( A_xB_y -A_yB_x \right) $

Using the product rule: $ = A_y\partial_xB_z + \partial_x A_yB_z - A_z\partial_xB_y + \partial_xA_zB_y - ... $
Obviously you aren't then applying the operators to what follows them (if you did they'd all = 0) - why not please?

ognik said:
Indulge me please, I think I am undoing some 'wrong knowledge' here.

If I do this using the determinant ('cos it is easier for me to see), then expanding over the top row I would get: $ \partial_x\left( A_yB_z -A_zB_y \right) - \partial_y\left( A_xB_z -A_zB_x \right) + \partial_z\left( A_xB_y -A_yB_x \right) $

Using the product rule: $ = A_y\partial_xB_z + \partial_x A_yB_z - A_z\partial_xB_y + \partial_xA_zB_y - ... $
Obviously you aren't then applying the operators to what follows them (if you did they'd all = 0) - why not please?
You've got the wrong product. Here you are using the "box product" formula:
\(\displaystyle \nabla \cdot (A \times B ) = \left | \begin{matrix} \partial _x & \partial _y & \partial _z \\ A_x & A_y & A_z \\ B_x & B_y & B_z \end{matrix} \right | \)

\(\displaystyle = \partial _x \left ( A_y ~ B_z - A_z ~ B_y \right ) - \partial_y \left ( A_x~ B_z - A_z ~ B_x \right) + \partial_z \left( A_x ~ B_y -A_y ~ B_x \right )\)

This is not the same as \(\displaystyle \nabla \times ( A \times B )\).

-Dan

Related to Triple vector product with del

1. What is the triple vector product with del?

The triple vector product with del is a mathematical operation that involves taking the cross product of two vectors and then taking the dot product of the result with a third vector. It is denoted as (A x B) · C, where A, B, and C are vectors.

2. How is the triple vector product with del calculated?

The triple vector product with del is calculated by first taking the cross product of the two vectors A and B, resulting in a new vector. This new vector is then dotted with the third vector C, resulting in a scalar value. The formula for this operation is (A x B) · C = (A · C) x B - (B · C) x A.

3. What are the applications of the triple vector product with del?

The triple vector product with del has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and rigid body mechanics. It can also be used to calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body.

4. How is the triple vector product with del related to the gradient, divergence, and curl?

The triple vector product with del is closely related to the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. In fact, the gradient of a scalar function, the divergence of a vector field, and the curl of a vector field can all be expressed using the triple vector product with del. This relationship is known as the fundamental vector calculus identity.

5. Are there any properties of the triple vector product with del?

Yes, there are several properties of the triple vector product with del. These include the distributive property, the commutative property, and the triple scalar product rule. These properties can be used to simplify calculations involving the triple vector product with del.