Triple Integral - Volume Question

In summary: You just need to finish it off by setting up the integral in cylindrical coordinates. Remember, in cylindrical coordinates, the projection of a solid figure in the xy-plane is a circle from the origin to the point of interest. In this case, the projection is a circle of radius 2. So the integral is ∫∫∫ dz r dr dθ where the limits of integration are 0 to 2 for r, 0 to 2π for θ, and for z, the same limits you already found, 3x^2 + 3y^2 to 6sqrt(x^2+y^2).
twiztidmxcn

Homework Statement

So my question is as follows: Find the volume of the solid bounded by z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 and z = 6sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graphs of these out, with the z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 being a circular paraboloid w/ vertex at (0,0,0) and extending in positive z direction.

The z = 6sqrt(x^2+y^2) is a cone centered on the z axis w/ vertex at (0,0,0).

I started by solving z = 6sqrt(x^2+y^2) for x^2 + y^2 and then plugging that into my other z = function and got that they intersect at z = 12. After plugging 12 in for z in the equations, i got both of them x^2 + y^2 = 4.

Circle, radius 2.

So, when setting up my triple integral, I have the triple integral of dzdydx. I believe my bounds on x are -2 -> 2.

Now, for my y bounds, I just solved the x^2 + y^2 = 4 for y, found that y = sqrt(4-x^2). I figured since it was a circular figure at this point, the y bounds are -sqrt(4-x^2) -> sqrt(4-x^2).

For my z bounds, I figured that it went from the lower function to the higher function, so from 3x^2 + 3y^2 -> 6sqrt(x^2+y^2).

My question comes to this...is any of this right at all? How do I actually integrate this?

I know I am going to need to probably change it into cylindrical coordinates, but then I run into the problem of how do I find my r integration bounds...

I know this is probably a jumble, but it's what I've got and hopefully some light can be shed on this.

thanks
-twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
twiztidmxcn said:

Homework Statement

So my question is as follows: Find the volume of the solid bounded by z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 and z = 6sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graphs of these out, with the z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 being a circular paraboloid w/ vertex at (0,0,0) and extending in positive z direction.

The z = 6sqrt(x^2+y^2) is a cone centered on the z axis w/ vertex at (0,0,0).
Yes, that's correct.

I started by solving z = 6sqrt(x^2+y^2) for x^2 + y^2 and then plugging that into my other z = function and got that they intersect at z = 12. After plugging 12 in for z in the equations, i got both of them x^2 + y^2 = 4.

Circle, radius 2.
Good. In other words, if you project the entire region into the xy-plane, it covers a circle of radius 2 and your integral must cover all of that.

So, when setting up my triple integral, I have the triple integral of dzdydx. I believe my bounds on x are -2 -> 2.

Now, for my y bounds, I just solved the x^2 + y^2 = 4 for y, found that y = sqrt(4-x^2). I figured since it was a circular figure at this point, the y bounds are -sqrt(4-x^2) -> sqrt(4-x^2).
Good. That's correct.

For my z bounds, I figured that it went from the lower function to the higher function, so from 3x^2 + 3y^2 -> 6sqrt(x^2+y^2).
Yes, that's also correct.

My question comes to this...is any of this right at all? How do I actually integrate this?

I know I am going to need to probably change it into cylindrical coordinates, but then I run into the problem of how do I find my r integration bounds...
It would probably have been easier to set up the integral in cylindrical coordinates from the start. Your figure, projected to the xy-plane forms a circle with center at (0,0) and radius 2. To cover that, take [itex]\theta[/itex] ranging from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], r ranging from 0 to 2. Now express the bounds on z in terms of r and [itex]\theta[/itex].

I know this is probably a jumble, but it's what I've got and hopefully some light can be shed on this.

thanks
-twiztidmxcn
Actually, it's very well done and clear.

Related to Triple Integral - Volume Question

1. What is a triple integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It differs from a regular integral, which calculates the area under a curve, by adding an additional dimension and integrating over a volume instead of a two-dimensional area.

2. When would you use a triple integral?

A triple integral is used when dealing with three-dimensional objects or systems, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the mass of a three-dimensional object with varying density, or solving problems in physics and engineering involving three-dimensional systems.

3. How do you set up a triple integral?

A triple integral is set up by defining the limits of integration for each of the three variables (x, y, and z) and multiplying the function being integrated by the infinitesimal volume element dx dy dz. The limits of integration are determined by the bounds of the three-dimensional shape being integrated over.

4. What are some common techniques for solving triple integrals?

Some common techniques for solving triple integrals include using the properties of symmetry to simplify the integral, using change of variables to convert the integral into a simpler form, and using numerical methods such as Monte Carlo integration for complex or non-analytic functions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of triple integrals?

Yes, triple integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the mass of a three-dimensional object with varying density, the moment of inertia of a solid object, and the center of mass of a three-dimensional system.