Triple integral to find the gravity inside a solid sphere

In summary, a triple integral is used to find the gravity inside a solid sphere by calculating the gravitational force at every point within the sphere and summing up all these forces. The variables in the triple integral include the radius of the sphere, density of the material, and distance from the center of the sphere. The density of the material can be determined by dividing the mass by its volume or by measuring a small portion of the sphere and extrapolating it. Simplifications can be made if the density is constant or if the sphere is symmetric. A triple integral can be used to find the gravity inside any type of solid object, but the integration process may vary depending on the object's shape and density.
pleasehelp12
gravity inside a solid sphere

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time setting up a triple integral to find the force of gravity inside a solid sphere. I've done a similar proof in physics before with gravity inside a spherical shell, but it only required a single integral. In this problem the answer must be derived using a triple integral.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravity:

|[tex]\vec{F_{grav}}[/tex]|= [tex]\frac{GmpdV}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe i found a way to set up the triple integral using spherical coordinates on another physics forum thread, but I don't understand how to get the integrand. Can someone please explain the way the intergrand was derived in the following integral?

arildno said:
And, if you want to prove it mathematically using Newton's general law of gravitation and calculus techniques, here is most of it:
1. In spherical polar coordinates, let the position of a mass particle inside the ball be given by [itex](\hat{r},\theta,\phi)[/itex] (measured from the C.M)
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the vertical and the particle's position vector.
Let the density be constant for all sphere particles and the radius of the sphere R.

2. Consider a test particle P having mass m and position vector [itex]r\vec{k}[/itex], i.e, a distance r along the "vertical"

3. We need to sum up all forces acting on P from sphere particles, i.e, compute the integral:
[tex]\vec{F}=-G\rho{m}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{\hat{r}^{2}\sin\phi((r-\hat{r}\cos\phi)\vec{k}-\hat{r}(\sin\phi(\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j}))}{(\hat{r}^{2}+r^{2}-2r\hat{r}\cos\phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}d\theta{d\phi}d\hat{r}[/tex]
where G is the universal gravitation constant and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of sphere particles.

4. It is easy to see that the horizontal plane components vanishes; the [itex]\phi[/itex]-integration is then best handled by integration by parts.
In the [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] integration, take care of whether you have [itex]r<\hat{r}[/itex] or [itex]r>\hat{r}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pleasehelp12 said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time setting up a triple integral to find the force of gravity inside a solid sphere. I've done a similar proof in physics before with gravity inside a spherical shell, but it only required a single integral. In this problem the answer must be derived using a triple integral.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravity:

I believe i found a way to set up the triple integral using spherical coordinates on another physics forum thread, but I don't understand how to get the integrand. Can someone please explain the way the intergrand was derived in the following integral?
pleasehelp12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravity:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Mechanics/sphshell.html#wtls

Poster reminded to watch the attitude, and not to post in all capital letters (yelling)
THANK FOR NOTICING . ALSO SEE GRAVITATION CHAPTER IN HALLIDAY RESNICK INTRO PHYSICS USED TEXTBOOKS

THIS PROOF IS FOR INVERSE SQUARE MATH EQUATIONS.
DIVIDE BY DISTANCE r BETWEEN
CENTER OF MASS 1 AND
CENTER OF MASS 2
SQUARED.
YOUR WEIGHT F ON PLANET EARTH SURFACE IS
m1 = YOUR BODY MASS
m2 = PLANET EARTH MASS

r = 6378 KM = 4000 MILES = NOT 0 KM = NOT 0 MILES =
PLANET EARTH RADIUS + HEIGHT OF m1

NOW CALC F = WEIGHT

ALSO APPLIES TO ELECTRIC FORCE
INVERSE SQUARE MATH EQUATION

EXCEPT
GRAVITY IS ONLY ATTRACTION FORCE BUT
ELECTROSTATIC CAN BE
ATTRACTION FORCE OR
REPULSION FORCE

Has your shift button stuck or are you normally a loud person?

Farang said:
Only took 8 years...
Here's a link to the page on how to use the open practice problem forums:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/read-me-how-to-use-this-forum.855656/
It's a repository of old unanswered threads that are open for anyone to respond to, without the typical limitations that are generally placed on responses in the homework forums. Many of us in the forum like to solve these problems in our spare time. To keep our knives sharp, so to speak.

Likes berkeman and Farang
Thread is closed.

Related to Triple integral to find the gravity inside a solid sphere

1. How is a triple integral used to find the gravity inside a solid sphere?

A triple integral is used to find the gravity inside a solid sphere by calculating the gravitational force at every point within the sphere and then summing up all these forces. This is achieved by dividing the sphere into small infinitesimal cubes and integrating the gravitational force over each cube, taking into account the distance from the center of the sphere and the density of the material at that point.

2. What are the variables in a triple integral for finding the gravity inside a solid sphere?

The variables in a triple integral for finding the gravity inside a solid sphere are the radius of the sphere, the density of the material, and the distance from the center of the sphere. These variables are used to calculate the gravitational force at each point within the sphere.

3. How is the density of the material inside a solid sphere determined for a triple integral?

The density of the material inside a solid sphere can be determined by dividing the mass of the sphere by its volume. This can also be calculated by measuring the mass and volume of a small portion of the sphere and then extrapolating it to the entire sphere.

4. Are there any simplifications that can be made when using a triple integral to find the gravity inside a solid sphere?

Yes, there are some simplifications that can be made when using a triple integral to find the gravity inside a solid sphere. For example, if the density of the material is constant throughout the sphere, the triple integral can be simplified to a single integral. Additionally, if the sphere is symmetric, the integration can be simplified by using spherical coordinates.

5. Can a triple integral be used to find the gravity inside any type of solid object?

Yes, a triple integral can be used to find the gravity inside any type of solid object, as long as the shape and density of the object are known. However, the integration process may differ depending on the shape of the object and its density distribution.