Trigonometry homework problems

In summary, the student is seeking help for proving the equation \frac{\frac{1}{2} cot20^{o}-cos10^{o}}{\frac{1}{2}+sin10^{o}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}. They have attempted to solve it by using product to sum identities and trigonometric ratios, but are unsure of how to proceed. They are seeking urgent help.
hrach87

Homework Statement

I need to prove that

[itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2} cot20^{o}-cos10^{o}}{\frac{1}{2}+sin10^{o}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to do it by this way

[itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2} cot10^{o}-cos10^{o}}{\frac{1}{2}+sin10^{o}}=\frac{cos20^{o}-2cos10^{o}sin20^{o}}{(1+2sin10^{o})sin20^{o}}= \frac{ cos20^{o}-\frac{1}{2}-sin10^{o}}{(1+2sin10^{o})sin20^{o}}[/itex]

Please help, it is very urgent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

hrach87 said:

Homework Statement

I need to prove that

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\frac{1}{2} \cot20^{o}-\cos10^{o}}{\frac{1}{2}+\sin10^{o}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to do it by this way

Note: The cot in the first expression below should have a argument of 20°, not 10°.
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\frac{1}{2} \cot10^{o}-\cos10^{o}}{\frac{1}{2}+\sin10^{o}}=\frac{\cos20^{o}-2\cos10^{o}\sin20^{o}}{(1+2\sin10^{o})\sin20^{o}}= \frac{ \cos20^{o}-\frac{1}{2}-\sin10^{o}}{(1+2\sin10^{o})\sin20^{o}}[/itex]

Please help, it is very urgent.
After taking some time, I figured out how to get that [itex]\displaystyle 2\cos10^{o}\sin20^{o}=\frac{1}{2}+\sin10^{o}\,,[/itex] using a product to sum identity.

Do a similar thing to your denominator:
[itex]\displaystyle (1+2\sin10^{o})\sin20^{o}=\sin20^{o}+\sin10^{o}+ \sin30^{o}=\sin10^{o}+\sin20^{o}+\sin30^{o}[/itex]​
That's also the same as cos60° + cos70° + cos80° .

Your numerator can be written as -cos60° + sin70° - cos80° or equivalently, -sin10° + cos20° - sin30° .

I don't know if any of that helps.

Also remember that [itex]\displaystyle \tan30^{o}=\cot60^{o}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Trigonometry homework problems

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties, particularly the relationships between their sides and angles.

What are some common trigonometry homework problems?

Some common trigonometry homework problems include finding missing sides or angles of a triangle, solving trigonometric equations, and using trigonometric identities to simplify expressions.

How do I solve trigonometry problems?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you will need to use the properties of triangles and the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) to find missing information or simplify expressions. It is important to understand the concepts and formulas involved and practice using them.

What are the key concepts to understand in trigonometry?

The key concepts in trigonometry include the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric ratios, and trigonometric identities. It is also important to understand how to use these concepts to solve problems involving triangles and trigonometric functions.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as surveying land, designing buildings and bridges, and navigation. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering to understand and solve various problems involving angles and distances.