Multiplication of Operators in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Penny57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
Penny57
Homework Statement
Operators can also be multiplied just like matrices. Physically, this represents applying two operations in succession. To compute in the abstract setting, we just need the rule ⟨i|j⟩ = δij .

(d) Compute the operator product of |1⟩⟨1| and |1⟩⟨1| + |2⟩⟨2|.
(e) Compute the operator product of |1⟩⟨2| + |2⟩⟨1| and |2⟩⟨2|.
Relevant Equations
O = O[SUB]ij[/SUB] |i⟩⟨j| = O[SUB]11[/SUB] * |1⟩⟨1| + O[SUB]12[/SUB] * |1⟩⟨2| + O[SUB]21[/SUB]|2⟩⟨1| + O[SUB]22[/SUB]|2⟩⟨2|.
For the first part of the problem, I managed to form this matrix;

<1|O|1><1|O|2>
<2|O|1><2|O|2>

=

However, that was because I was following this image;

MUuW2cj.png

I'm not entirely sure how this was obtained, and I'm not really sure what to do to continue forward with part e. I apologize for my lack of knowledge - I've attempted to search for any youtube videos to help and go through online textbooks, but I'm unable to find what I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you investigate it with the expression of the states
[tex]
|1>=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex]
|2>=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Last edited:
penny_ss said:
To compute in the abstract setting, we just need the rule ⟨i|j⟩ = δij .
For example, the operator ##| 2 \rangle \langle 1|## multiplied by the operator ##| 1 \rangle \langle 1|## would be $$| 2 \rangle \langle 1| \cdot | 1 \rangle \langle 1| = | 2 \rangle \langle 1|| 1 \rangle \langle 1| = | 2 \rangle \langle 1| 1 \rangle \langle 1|$$ The middle part ##\langle 1| 1 \rangle## of the expression on the far right can be evaluated using the rule ##\langle i| j \rangle = \delta_{ij}##.

Thank you so much for the help! I've managed to work through it with the advice given. I forgot to account for the expression of the states - once I did, the problem became much easier. Thank you for the help! And that rule makes a lot more sense now. Thank you again!

Related to Multiplication of Operators in Quantum Mechanics

1. How do you multiply operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are multiplied by applying the operators in the order they appear from right to left. This means that if you have operators A, B, and C, the product ABC would be applied as C * B * A.

2. What is the significance of multiplying operators in quantum mechanics?

Multiplying operators in quantum mechanics allows us to represent physical quantities and observables. The result of multiplying operators can give us information about the state of a quantum system and help us make predictions about the outcomes of measurements.

3. Can operators in quantum mechanics be commutative?

Operators in quantum mechanics do not always commute, meaning that the order in which they are multiplied can affect the result. The commutator of two operators A and B is given by [A, B] = AB - BA. If the commutator is zero, the operators commute.

4. How do you calculate the product of non-commuting operators?

When multiplying non-commuting operators in quantum mechanics, it is important to pay attention to the order in which they are applied. The product of non-commuting operators can result in a different outcome depending on the order in which they are multiplied.

5. What are some common examples of multiplying operators in quantum mechanics?

Some common examples of multiplying operators in quantum mechanics include the position and momentum operators, the angular momentum operators, and the Pauli matrices. These examples are used to represent physical quantities and observables in quantum mechanics.