Trigonometric Identity in My Book: Understanding (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x

In summary, the conversation discusses the identity used for (cos4x)^2, which is (1+cos8x)/2. The suggestion to look at the identity for cos(2x) is given, which is (cosx)^2 - (sinx)^2. There is a mention of a missing factor of 1/2 and the correct identity is stated as cos^2x = (1 + cos2x)/2. The possibility of deriving this from the double angle identity for cos(2x) and the identity cos2x+sin2x=1 is mentioned, but ultimately dismissed.
kasse
In my book, (cos4x)^2 is written 1+cos8x without referring to any formula. Which trig. identity is used here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at the identity for cos(2x)

The correct identity is (cos4x)^2 = (1+cos8x)/2 .

cristo said:
Try looking at the identity for cos(2x)

You mean cos(2x) = (cosx)^2 - (sinx)^2 ?

kasse said:
You mean cos(2x) = (cosx)^2 - (sinx)^2 ?

Yes, and as arunbg says, there is a factor of 1/2 missing from your given identity.

the identity is cos^2x = (1 + cos2x)/2 is it not?

Yes, my mistake.

JJ420 said:
the identity is cos^2x = (1 + cos2x)/2 is it not?

One can derive this from the double angle identity for cos(2x) using further the identity that cos2x+sin2x=1

Last edited:
Nope.

[tex] \sin^{2} x=\frac{1-\cos 2x}{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Related to Trigonometric Identity in My Book: Understanding (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x

What is a Trigonometric Identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. In other words, it is an identity that holds true for all possible values of the trigonometric functions involved.

What is the significance of the trigonometric identity (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x?

The trigonometric identity (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x is significant because it is a double angle identity. This means that it can be used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions involving double angles, making calculations easier and more efficient.

How can I use the identity (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x in my calculations?

You can use this identity to simplify complex trigonometric expressions involving double angles. For example, if you have an expression like cos(8x) + cos(12x), you can use the identity to rewrite it as 2cos(4x)^2. This makes the expression easier to work with and can save time in calculations.

How can I prove that (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x is a true identity?

There are several ways to prove the identity (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x. One way is to use the double angle formula for cosine, which states that cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1. By substituting 2x for 4x, we get cos(4x) = 2cos^2(2x) - 1. Then, using the double angle formula again, we get cos(8x) = 2cos^2(4x) - 1. Finally, substituting this into the original identity gives us (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x, proving its validity.

Are there any other useful trigonometric identities that can be derived from (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x?

Yes, there are several other useful identities that can be derived from (cos4x)^2 = 1+cos8x. For example, you can use it to derive the half angle formula for cosine (cos^2(x/2) = 1/2(1+cos(x)), as well as other double angle identities such as sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x).