Trigonometric Identity and Differential Equation question

In summary, the conversation is about a person reviewing a differential equation for a hanging cable and realizing they need to brush up on their trigonometric derivatives and integrals. They discuss the equations \frac{dy}{dx}, \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}, and \frac{ds}{dx} and how they relate to the slope of a tangent line and arclength. They also mention that \phi(x) represents the angle of the graph and ds/dx is the derivative of the formula for arclength.
bitrex
I'm looking over the differential equation describing a hanging cable in a textbook, and I probably need to review my trigonometric derivatives and integrals again because I'm not seeing how they got the following:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = tan(\phi) \frac{ws}{T_0}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{w}{T_0}\frac{ds}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ds}{dx} = [1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^2]^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

ds/dx is the secant of phi, or something...any pointers would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you are saying, then, is that y= y(x) is the equation of some graph and [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is the angle that graph makes, at each point, with a horizontal line. In other words, [itex]tan(\phi)[/itex] is the slope of the tangent line: [itex]tan(\phi(x))= dy/dx[/itex] and s(x) is the arclength from some point to (x, y(x)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Halls - I see now how they got there - ds/dx is the derivative of the formula for arc length which I apparently temporarily forgot. :wink:

Related to Trigonometric Identity and Differential Equation question

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions. It is used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric expressions.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to use algebraic manipulation and known trigonometric identities to transform one side of the equation into the other. This process is known as a proof by induction.

3. What are some commonly used trigonometric identities?

Some commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

4. What are differential equations?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How do you solve a differential equation?

The process of solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, by using known methods and techniques, or numerically, by using computational methods.