Trigonometric Equation Homework Help: Solving 3sinx + 4cosx = 1

So, as you noted, if sin(x) = 4/5, then x = sin-1 (4/5) is one solution, but x = π - sin-1 (4/5) is another solution.Anyway, back to the original problem, you just need to pick some suitable values for A and x to make sin(A + x) = 1/5, then find the values of x that go with them.
Bogrune

Homework Statement

I took a test in my Precalculus class about 3 weeks ago, and the tests were handed back this week. I saw that I didn't do so well because I was stumped on this equation:

3sinx + 4cosx = 1

Homework Equations

We were to use the following formulas to solve this equation:

sin(A+B)= sinAcosB + cosAsinB
cos(A+B)= cosAcosB - sinAsinB
sin2 + cos2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to apply one of the formulas, but it just didn't make sense:

3sin2x + 4cos2x = 1

I then tried to use the addition identities, but it still didn't make sense since both expressions(3sinx + 4cosx) only have one term. Anyone know how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bogrune said:

Homework Statement

I took a test in my Precalculus class about 3 weeks ago, and the tests were handed back this week. I saw that I didn't do so well because I was stumped on this equation:

3sinx + 4cosx = 1

Homework Equations

We were to use the following formulas to solve this equation:

sin(A+B)= sinAcosB + cosAsinB
cos(A+B)= cosAcosB - sinAsinB
sin2 + cos2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to apply one of the formulas, but it just didn't make sense:

3sin2x + 4cos2x = 1
You can't do this. You are apparently squaring both sides, but to do that, you have to square the quantity 3sin(x) + 4cos(x).

If you had an equation a + b = 1, and you squared both sides, you would get
(a + b)2 = 12,
or a2 + 2ab + b2 = 1

You would NOT get
a2 + b2 = 12
Bogrune said:
I then tried to use the addition identities, but it still didn't make sense since both expressions(3sinx + 4cosx) only have one term. Anyone know how to solve this?

Divide both sides of the equation by 5. There's a reason I picked this number, which I'll get to later.

This gives you
3/5 sin(x) + 4/5 cos(x) = 1/5

Since 3/5 and 4/5 are between -1 and 1, we can consider them to be the cosine and sine, respectively of some angle A, so let cos(A) = 3/5 and sin(A) = 4/5.

Now rewrite the equation above as
cos(A) sin(x) + sin(A)cos(x) = 1/5

You can use one of your relevant identities to rewrite the left side in terms of either sin or cos of something.

The reason I picked 5 in an earlier step is that I wanted to turn 3 and 4 into numbers that would be suitable values for a sine and cosine. What I did was take the square root of 32 + 42 = sqrt(25) = 5.

Divide both sides of the equation by 5. There's a reason I picked this number, which I'll get to later.

This gives you
3/5 sin(x) + 4/5 cos(x) = 1/5

Since 3/5 and 4/5 are between -1 and 1, we can consider them to be the cosine and sine, respectively of some angle A, so let cos(A) = 3/5 and sin(A) = 4/5.

Now rewrite the equation above as
cos(A) sin(x) + sin(A)cos(x) = 1/5

You can use one of your relevant identities to rewrite the left side in terms of either sin or cos of something.

The reason I picked 5 in an earlier step is that I wanted to turn 3 and 4 into numbers that would be suitable values for a sine and cosine. What I did was take the square root of 32 + 42 = sqrt(25) = 5.

I'm sorry, I'm known to be pretty slow. So am I to turn the equation:

cosAsinx + sinAcosx = 1/5
into
sin(A+x) = 1/5?

Bogrune said:
I'm sorry, I'm known to be pretty slow. So am I to turn the equation:

cosAsinx + sinAcosx = 1/5
into
sin(A+x) = 1/5?

Yep, but you'll know what A is.

Okay, thanks. So will my solution (with the work shown, of course) be:

sin(A+x) = 1/5

A+x = sin-1(1/5) +2πn

x= 4/5 + sin-1(1/5) +2πn

Bogrune said:

sin(A+x) = 1/5

A+x = sin-1(1/5) +2πn

x= 4/5 + sin-1(1/5) +2πn
A is not 4/5. sin(A) = 4/5, so what is A? You also know that cos(A) = 3/5.

Oh, I think I get it now. So it's really

sin-1(4/5) + sin-1(1/5) + 2πn

since I believe that sin(A) = 4/5, A = sin-1(4/5)?

Last edited:
this has got rather confusing :confused:

you're rewriting the original equation as

(3/5)sinx + (4/5)cosx = 1/5 …

carry on from there :smile:

Bogrune said:

sin(A+x) = 1/5

A+x = sin-1(1/5) +2πn

x= 4/5 + sin-1(1/5) +2πn
As I noted earlier, the equation above is wrong because you replaced A by 4/5.

The equation above it is correct, although I don't believe you're getting all of the solutions. If sin(x) = y, then sin(x + 2π) = y, as well. What you're forgetting is that it's also true that sin(x) = sin(π/2 - x), or angles that are symmetric around π/2 have the same sines.

It might be best to find a single solution for x, and then generalize to all possible values of x later on.

You have sin(A + x) = 1/5, so A + x = sin-1 (1/5), so x = -A + sin-1 (1/5).

Substitute in for A (it is NOT 3/5 or 4/5) to find x.

Bogrune said:
Oh, I think I get it now. So it's really

sin-1(4/5) + sin-1(1/5) + 2πn

since I believe that sin(A) = 4/5, A = sin-1(4/5)?

The equation above it is correct, although I don't believe you're getting all of the solutions. If sin(x) = y, then sin(x + 2π) = y, as well. What you're forgetting is that it's also true that sin(x) = sin(π/2 - x), or angles that are symmetric around π/2 have the same sines.

Please pardon me for saying this: I understand that part, but isn't sin(x) really equal to sin(π-x), since the function of sin(x) is an odd function?

yup! he meant "sin(x) = sin(π - x), or angles that are symmetric around π/2 have the same sines." :biggrin:

Yep, that's what I meant. What I was trying to say was that sin(x + π/2) = sin(x - π/2).

Related to Trigonometric Equation Homework Help: Solving 3sinx + 4cosx = 1

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, and one or more variables. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle, or to model periodic phenomena in mathematics and science.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This may involve using trigonometric identities, factoring, or applying inverse trigonometric functions. Once the variable is isolated, you can use a calculator or reference table to find the solution(s) to the equation.

3. Can a trigonometric equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a trigonometric equation can have multiple solutions, especially if the equation involves periodic functions like sine and cosine. These solutions may be expressed as a general solution using the "n" parameter, or as specific solutions within a given interval. It is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving trigonometric equations.

4. What are the common applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and solve problems involving angles, distances, and periodic phenomena. In everyday life, they can also be used to calculate heights, distances, and angles in fields like architecture, navigation, and construction.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include: identifying and using trigonometric identities when possible, converting trigonometric functions to a single function using the Pythagorean identity, and checking for extraneous solutions. It is also helpful to visualize the problem and use common trigonometric ratios to set up the equation.