Problem in finding a general solution

In summary: So, options (A) and (B) are correct, as well as (C) and (D). In summary, the conversation discusses solving a trigonometric equation using the double-angle formulas and the given options for the solution are (A), (B), (C), and (D). The correct solutions are (A) and (B), and also (C) and (D).
navneet9431
Gold Member

Homework Statement

thumbnail_IMG_20180713_225234 (1).jpg

Homework Equations

General Formula for Tan(a)=Tan(b)
gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

See the question I have uploaded.

I have tried solving it this way,

Firstly I applied the Quadratic Formula to get,

gif.gif

Now we have two cases,

CASE-1

When
12%29%3D2-%5Csqrt3.gif

So General Formula here will be,

12.gif

Now, CASE-2

when
12%29%3D-%282+%5Csqrt3%29.gif

So General Formula here will be
12.gif

I do not know what should I do next to get the answer? Please tell me how to proceed Further.

The answer given in the key is the option (C).

I will be thankful for any help!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20180713_225234 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180713_225234 (1).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 782
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    323 bytes · Views: 785
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 12%29%3D2-%5Csqrt3.gif
    12%29%3D2-%5Csqrt3.gif
    886 bytes · Views: 459
  • 12.gif
    12.gif
    446 bytes · Views: 432
  • 12%29%3D-%282+%5Csqrt3%29.gif
    12%29%3D-%282+%5Csqrt3%29.gif
    1 KB · Views: 481
  • 12.gif
    12.gif
    468 bytes · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

So you need to combine ##\pi (n+ {1\over 12}) ## and ##\pi (n - {5\over 12}) ## . Leave the ##\pi## outside the brackets and try a few n. The pattern emerges !

Likes scottdave
if the 6n looks scary in the option C, it is actually just ##n/2## cause ##a=(6n+1)\frac{\pi}{12}=\frac{n}{2}\pi+\frac{\pi}{12}##. From this very last expression for a, what do you get if you put
1) n=even=2k
2) n=odd=2k+1

Likes ehild and scottdave
I think the problem is solved by @Delta2's hint, so I may come with a very simple solution of the equation tan2(α)+2√3 tan(α)=1,which can be rearranged to 1-tan2(α)=2√3 tan(α).
nπ/2 in the offered solutions suggests to solve the equation for 2α. The double-angle formula is ##\tan(2α)=\frac{2\tan(α)}{1-\tan^2(α)}##, that is ##\tan(2α)=\frac{2\tan(α)}{2\sqrt3 \tan(α)}=\frac{1}{\sqrt 3}##, that is, 2α=π/6+kπ and α=π/12+kπ/2.

Likes Delta2

Related to Problem in finding a general solution

1. What is a general solution?

A general solution refers to a set of equations or principles that can be applied to solve a variety of similar problems. It is a broad approach that can be used to find a solution to a specific problem or a group of related problems.

2. Why is it difficult to find a general solution?

Finding a general solution can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of the problem and its underlying principles. It also involves considering various variables and factors that can affect the solution. Additionally, not all problems have a general solution, and it may require a combination of different approaches to find a solution.

3. What are the benefits of finding a general solution?

One of the main advantages of finding a general solution is that it can save time and effort in solving similar problems. Instead of starting from scratch each time, a general solution can be applied, which can be more efficient. It also allows for a more systematic and organized approach to problem-solving.

4. Can a general solution be applied to all problems?

No, not all problems have a general solution. Some problems may be too complex, or the variables involved may be too many to find a single general solution. In some cases, a specific problem may require a unique solution, and a general solution may not be applicable.

5. How can I develop a general solution?

Developing a general solution requires a thorough understanding of the problem and its underlying principles. It also involves analyzing different variables and factors that can affect the solution. To develop a general solution, one must have strong problem-solving skills and be able to think creatively and critically.