Trig Substitution: Solve Int \sqrt{x^2 + 16}

In summary, the student is looking for a way to reduce the integral to a single number, and recalls the property of logarithms. He recalls that when two constants are added together, the result is just a constant. He then uses this knowledge to solve the problem.
teneleven

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2 + 16}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x = 4\tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]dx = 4\sec^2\theta \ d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int\frac{4\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{16\tan^2\theta + 16}}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{4\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{16(\tan^2\theta + 1)}}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{4\sec^2\theta}{4\sec\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\sec\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

How do I reduce past this step?
Integration by parts returns me to [tex]\int\sec\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

The answer at the back of the book is as follows: [tex]\ln(\sqrt{x^2 + 16} + x) + C[/tex]

Thanks.

EDIT: notational mistakes corrected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing to see here...move on. :biggrin:

Last edited:
neutrino said:
Isn't that supposed to be [tex]16\int{\sec^3{\theta}}[/tex]?

Nope, his integral is correct.

And the answer in the book is also correct.

The integral of secant is not very trivial, and the best method is to multiply by '1'.
In this case by (sec@ + tan@)/(sec@ + tan@).
Then do a 'u' substitution if the integral isn't all that obvious yet.
(let u = sec@ + tan@)

enjoy!

P.S. Teneleven -> you notated your trig-sub wrong, yet used it correctly.
P.P.S. sec³@ is significantly harder it integrate the first time through.

ChaoticLlama said:
Nope, his integral is correct.

And the answer in the book is also correct.

Oh. Well, the first time I saw the problem the radical was in the numerator. :smile:

Just incase your wondering, by multiply by one, he's hinting at Integration by parts.

The way I would integrate sec x, not necessarily the simplest, is to write sec x as 1/cos x, multiply both numerator and denominator by cos x:
[tex]\int \frac{cos x dx}{cos^2 x}[/tex]
rewrite as
[tex]\int \frac{cos x dx}{1- sin^2 x}[/tex]
Let u= sin(x) and use partial fractions on the remaining integral.

Make [itex] x=4\sinh t [/itex] and see what you get. Don't forget the integration constant.

I solved it using ChaoticLlama's method, but without integration by parts. I'm having trouble reducing it down to the answer in the book. I end up with a "4" in the denominator and haven't figured out how to get rid of it.

[tex]\int\sec\theta\frac{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)}{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{\sec^2\theta}{\sec\theta + \tan\theta}\ d\theta + \int\frac{\sec\theta\tan\theta}{\sec\theta +\tan\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\ln(\sec\theta + \tan\theta) + C[/tex]

[tex]\ln(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 16}}{4} + \frac{x}{4}) + C[/tex]

You've done exactly as required.

Just Remember the property of logarithms ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b)

Then you'll recognize that...
[tex]\ln(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 16}}{4} + \frac{x}{4}) + C =
\ln(\sqrt{x^2 + 16} + x) + D[/tex]

(What does D equal with respect to C?)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm looking at it and I recall the property of logarithms, but I still don't understand how the "4" is reduced to [tex]\ln(4)[/tex] and removed in the final answer.

EDIT: So you're saying that D = C + [tex]\ln(4)[/tex]?

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly what he's saying. Remember C is just any constant, when you differentiate it disappears! ln4 is also just a constant, A constant plus another constant is just another constant!

BTW Chaoticlama, No Integration by parts for sec x will not help in the least, Halls of Ivys method got me the answer fine though.

Related to Trig Substitution: Solve Int \sqrt{x^2 + 16}

What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used to solve integrals that involve square roots of quadratic expressions. It involves using trigonometric identities to substitute the expression inside the square root with a new variable, which will make the integral easier to solve.

How do I know when to use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral involves a square root of a quadratic expression, or when the integral contains terms such as x^2, x^2 + a^2, or x^2 - a^2.

What is the general process for trig substitution?

The general process for trig substitution involves identifying a trigonometric identity that can be used to simplify the expression inside the square root. Then, substitute this new expression with a new variable, and use this variable to solve the integral. Finally, substitute back the original variable to obtain the final solution.

What are the common trigonometric identities used in trig substitution?

Some common trigonometric identities used in trig substitution include sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x), and sinh^2(x) - cosh^2(x) = 1.

Are there any tips for solving integrals using trig substitution?

One helpful tip is to always check if the integral can be simplified using algebra before attempting trig substitution. Also, be sure to choose the right trigonometric identity to simplify the expression inside the square root. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric identities is key to becoming proficient in solving integrals using trig substitution.