Trig Sub Homework: Did I Make a Mistake?

In summary: I do discourage the OP from doing it that way. Not because it can't be made correct with some corrections to constants (and they do need to be corrected). But because if you split it up cleverly to begin with you don't have to simplify cos(arctan) type stuff and you make a lot fewer mistakes. You can power though with a single substitution, but why? Why are you fighting my suggestion??
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Did I make a mistake here somewhere? The solution in the back of the book is completely different. Seems like they used trig sub one step later or something. I can't find any error in my logic. Test coming up soon and I'm confused and panicking -_-!
Actually I just found a mistake with my constants! But apart from that, is it correct? The first term should be multiplied with -1/2 and the second with 3/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

trigsub.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt it's right, but it's too hard to read to make sure. I'd really suggest you write (x+4)=(x+1)+3 at the beginning and use that to split the integral into two much more manageable parts.

I don't see how that makes it more manageable. That was my original plan but the numerator isn't my problem. No matter what I do I'm stuck with this denominator that's ugly.

Feodalherren said:
I don't see how that makes it more manageable. That was my original plan but the numerator isn't my problem. No matter what I do I'm stuck with this denominator that's ugly.

The numerator is your problem. (x+1)/((x+1)^2+4) is an easy substitution. 3/((x+1)^2+4) is an easy arctan problem after the correct substitution. Divide and conquer. Don't try to do it all in one lump.

simplify the cos(arctan((x+1)/2)) term.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
simplify the cos(arctan((x+1)/2)) term.

ehild

My point was not that you can't salvage that attempt by correcting a few errors, but that there is an easier strategy to do it to begin with.

Dick said:
My point was not that you can't salvage that attempt by correcting a few errors, but that there is an easier strategy to do it to begin with.

For me, the solution looks good (when correcting the constants) but the OP can bring it to a simpler form. He is familiar with the trigonometric substitution, and he will do it anyway when integrating 1/((x+1)2+4). You discourage the OP suggesting to discard his method.

ehild

ehild said:
For me, the solution looks good (when correcting the constants) but the OP can bring it to a simpler form. He is familiar with the trigonometric substitution, and he will do it anyway when integrating 1/((x+1)2+4). You discourage the OP suggesting to discard his method.

ehild

I do discourage the OP from doing it that way. Not because it can't be made correct with some corrections to constants (and they do need to be corrected). But because if you split it up cleverly to begin with you don't have to simplify cos(arctan) type stuff and you make a lot fewer mistakes. You can power though with a single substitution, but why? Why are you fighting my suggestion??

Related to Trig Sub Homework: Did I Make a Mistake?

1. Did I use the correct substitution?

It is important to carefully choose the substitution when using trigonometric substitutions. Double check your work to ensure that the substitution you used is appropriate for the given problem.

2. Why am I getting a different answer than the one in the back of the textbook?

There are many steps involved in solving a trigonometric substitution problem, so it is easy to make a mistake along the way. Double check each step of your solution to see if you made a calculation error.

3. How do I know when to use a trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitutions are typically used to simplify integrals with radicals involving quadratic expressions. Look for expressions of the form a^2 - x^2 or x^2 - a^2 in the integrand, and use the corresponding trigonometric identity to simplify the expression.

4. Can I use more than one trigonometric substitution in a single problem?

It is possible to use more than one trigonometric substitution in a single problem, but it is not recommended as it can make the problem more complicated. It is best to choose the most appropriate substitution and stick with it.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating it and comparing it to the original integrand. If the two expressions are equivalent, then your answer is correct. You can also plug in your answer into the original integral and see if it satisfies the equation.