Trig sin and cos graphs n00b help.

In summary, the function f(x) takes an input of x and outputs a value of x^2. This function can be represented by y = x^2.
Dude22

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I understand the basics of trig graphing; but am having a hard time understanding f(x) first of all what to f and x stand for? Above and beyond that any help understanding f(x) or a link to a website that might help me would be great.

Homework Equations

f(x)...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched the web and cannot find an answer to my simple question.

I have watched videos on KHAN ACADEMY and understand almost everything about graphs but NOT f(x)

I have watched videos on YouTube

Physics news on Phys.org
To start, it reads, "a function f of x". This means that "x" is an input to the function "f".
f(x), by itself is very general. f(x) can be specified by equating it to something like: f(x) =sin(x). f(x) can be considered an "output" where x is the "input".

Abide on that for awhile.

Hello Dude22,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Dude22 said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I understand the basics of trig graphing; but am having a hard time understanding f(x) first of all what to f and x stand for? Above and beyond that any help understanding f(x) or a link to a website that might help me would be great.

Homework Equations

f(x)...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched the web and cannot find an answer to my simple question.

I have watched videos on KHAN ACADEMY and understand almost everything about graphs but NOT f(x)

I have watched videos on YouTube
This question might be better off in the
Homework & Coursework Questions / Precalculus Mathematics​
subforum. But I suppose I can try to help out here.

Here 'f' means "function." It has an input and an output. The variable 'x' is the input. How do you know 'x' is the input? Because the function was denoted as "f(x)." If the input had nothing to do with 'x' but instead had 't' as the input, the function would be denoted as "f(t)."

When vocalizing, "f(x)" is pronounced: f of x.

Not all functions have to be named 'f' though. They could be named 'g', or anything. So g(x) can also be a function of x, and is pronounced g of x.

Maybe I should show an example. Consider the following function:
[tex] x^2 [/tex]
If x is 1, the function output is 1.
If x is 2, the function output is 4.
If x is 3, the function output is 9.
The input of the function is 'x', and we can name the function 'f'. So we can say,
[tex] f(x) \equiv x^2 [/tex]
Note that this is sort of similar to the notation [itex] y = x^2 [/itex]. So why don't we just use that? Because we're not intending to set the function equal to something and make an equation; rather we are essentially naming the function.

Lastly, be aware of the ambiguity with the multiplication notation. f(x) is not the same thing as f times x, or (f)(x). That's something totally different. But the notation is similar if not identical. You'll have to figure out the meaning from the context.

Here is a Wikipedia article on functions. It goes from basic to pretty advanced quickly. But for what it's worth,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_%28mathematics%29

Good luck! :smile:

Related to Trig sin and cos graphs n00b help.

What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

How do I graph a sine function?

To graph a sine function, you first need to determine the amplitude, period, and phase shift. The amplitude is the maximum height of the function, the period is the length of one complete cycle, and the phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the function. Once you have these values, you can plot points on the graph and connect them to create the sine curve.

What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they differ in the shape of their graphs. The sine function has a wavy, up-and-down graph, while the cosine function has a smooth, side-to-side graph. Additionally, the sine function starts at the origin and moves upward, while the cosine function starts at its maximum value and moves downward.

How do I find the x-intercepts of a cosine function?

To find the x-intercepts of a cosine function, you need to set the function equal to 0 and solve for x. The x-intercepts of a cosine function occur at every point where the function crosses the x-axis, which will be every half-period.

How can I use trigonometric functions in real-life applications?

Trigonometric functions are used in many real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, sine and cosine functions are used to model the motion of pendulums and springs, while tangent functions are used to calculate the slope of a ramp or road. They are also used in navigation and astronomy to calculate distances and angles.