Trig Integral using Cauchy Formula

In summary, the integral is evaluated by using equations (2) and (3) to substitute and using the concept of calculus of residues to evaluate the contour integral. The values of a and 1/a are determined based on their positions in the unit circle, and the integral is simplified to be 1/(1-a^2).
Bacat

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta + a^2}, 0 < a < 1.[/tex]

This integral is worked out in the book as an example, but I don't understand all the steps. My confusion is highlighted in red below.

(From Complex Variables, Stephen Fisher (2nd Edition), Chapter 2.3, Exercise 7)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(s)}{s-z} ds= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}f(z) & : z \in \gamma\\0 & : z \notin \gamma \end{array} [/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined as the interior of the simple closed curve described by the line integral. (Eq. 1)

[tex]Cos\theta=\frac{1}{2}\left(z+\frac{1}{z}\right).\;[/tex] (Eq. 2)

[tex]d\theta = \frac{dz}{iz}. \;[/tex] (Eq. 3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute using (2)...

[tex]1-2aCos\theta + a^2=1+a^2-a\left(z + \frac{1}{z}\right).[/tex]

Now using (3)...

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta + a^2} = \frac{dz}{i(-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a)} \![/tex] (Eq. 4)

Now:

[tex]-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a=-a\left(z-\frac{1}{a}\right)(z-a)[/tex]

The point [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex] is outside the circle [tex]|z| = 1[/tex], and the point a is inside the circle [tex]|z|=1[/tex].

How do we know that 1/a is outside and a is inside?

Hence,

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \frac{dz}{-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{-a(z-\frac{1}{a})}\frac{1}{z-a} dz = \frac{1}{-a\left(a-\frac{1}{a}\right)} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}[/tex]

But,

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \frac{dz}{-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a}=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{i e^{i\theta}d\theta}{e^{i\theta}(1-2aCos\theta + a^2)}[/tex]

Why do we need this equality? I thought we already substituted Eqs. (2) and (3) to get expression (4). In other words, why are we bothering to put exponentials in here when we already have a simple form for the integral?

[tex]=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta +a^2}.[/tex]

Thus, the integral has the value

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta +a^2} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}, \; 0 < a < 1.[/tex]

Thank you for your time. I know this is a lot of equations to look through, but it would really help this confused student who wants to understand the example.

Physics news on Phys.org
1)
Well, it is given that 0 < a < 1, you wrote that on the very first line. So |a| < 1. Then |1/a| = 1/|a| > 1. Geometrically, the reciprocal of any complex number is obtained by reflecting the number in the unit circle. If you want to show it explicitly, do something like |1/a| * |a| = |1/a * a| = |1| = 1.

2)
You have something like
[tex]\oint_{|z| = 1} f(z) \, dz[/tex]
which is a meaningful expression in terms of concepts, but it's useless in terms of calculation. The contour integral of f(z) over a closed curve [itex]\gamma: t \mapsto \gamma(t) \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] defined on [a, b] is defined (?) as
[tex]\oint_\gamma f(z) \, dz = \int_a^b f(\gamma(t)) \gamma'(t) \, dt[/tex].
So if you want to evaluate your contour integral over the circle |z| = 1 you will need some curve parametrizing it, and
[tex]\gamma: [0, 2\pi] \to \{ z \in \mathrm{C} : |z| = 1 \}, t \mapsto e^{\imi t}[/tex]
is the most obvious one.

However, in this case you can also use calculus of residues, to immediately evaluate
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{-a(z-\frac{1}{a})}\frac{1}{z-a} dz = \frac{1}{-a\left(a-\frac{1}{a}\right)} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}[/tex]
without using an explicit parametrization.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I totally missed the significance of [tex]0 < a < 1[/tex]. It makes a lot more sense now.

Related to Trig Integral using Cauchy Formula

What is the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral?

The Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral is used to solve integrals of the form ∫(sinx)^m (cosx)^n dx, where m and n are non-negative integers. It is given by the formula: ∫(sinx)^m (cosx)^n dx = (-1)^m (m+n)!/(m!n!) * ∫[(sinx)^m-1 (cosx)^n-1 dx]

How is the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral derived?

The Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral is derived using the properties of complex numbers and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. By expressing sinx and cosx in terms of exponential functions, the integral can be rewritten as a contour integral which can then be evaluated using Cauchy's Integral Formula.

When should the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral be used?

The Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral should be used when dealing with integrals involving trigonometric functions raised to non-negative integer powers. It is particularly useful for solving integrals with multiple trigonometric functions or large powers.

What are some applications of the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral?

The Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving oscillatory motion, alternating currents, and other periodic phenomena. It is also used in the derivation of other mathematical formulas and identities.

Are there any limitations to the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral?

Yes, the Cauchy Formula for Trig Integral can only be used for integrals with trigonometric functions raised to non-negative integer powers. It is not applicable to integrals with fractional or irrational powers, or when the powers of sinx and cosx are negative. In these cases, other integration techniques must be used.