Trig idents while computing limit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric identities to solve a given problem. The solution involves expanding (x+h) terms using the identities $$cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)$$ and $$sin(x+y)=sin(x)cos(y)+cos(x)sin(y)$$ and factoring out sin(x) and cos(x) from the terms. The conversation also mentions a possible error in the expansion and a discrepancy in the denominator.
quicksilver123
My screenshots show an attempt at a solution and the given solution path from the book, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2048.PNG
    IMG_2048.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
That is the identity I used to expand the (x+h) terms but could not factor to the next step due to the sin(h) term... unless I made an error in my expansion that I haven't caught?

In your work, factor a sin(x) from the first 2 terms and cos(x) from the next 2 terms. You should now have the same as the solution guide. Note that it takes 2 lines to display theirs. I don't know what you've done in the denominator, though. .

Likes quicksilver123
Thanks. I don't know why I didn't see that.

Related to Trig idents while computing limit

1. What are Trig Identities?

Trig identities are equations involving trigonometric functions that are true for all values of the variables. They are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. How are Trig Identities useful in computing limits?

Trig identities can be used to convert a trigonometric expression into a simpler form, which can make it easier to compute a limit. They can also be used to prove the existence or non-existence of a limit.

3. Can all trigonometric expressions be simplified using Trig Identities?

No, not all trigonometric expressions can be simplified using Trig Identities. Some expressions may require additional techniques or methods to compute the limit.

4. What are some common Trig Identities used in computing limits?

Some common Trig Identities used in computing limits include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

5. How can I remember all the Trig Identities?

One way to remember Trig Identities is to practice using them regularly. You can also create flashcards or mnemonic devices to help you remember them more easily. Another helpful tip is to understand the patterns and relationships between the different identities.