Trig Function Derivation Question

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus homework question regarding finding the number of tangent lines to a given curve that pass through a specific point. The student is struggling with where to start and only needs guidance, not the answer. The conversation includes the derivative of the curve and a hint to use it to find the equation of the tangent line. The student eventually solves the problem with the help of the hint.
waealu

Homework Statement

I am working on some calculus homework and I am stumped by this question. It is in the section "derivatives of trigonometric functions." It seems like it should be easy, but I can't think of where to start. I don't need any answers and you don't need to present any calculations, I only need an idea of where to start. Thank you.

How many tangent lines to the curve y=x/(x+1) pass through the point (1,2)? At which points do these tangent lines touch the curve?

Homework Equations

I determined the derivative of the curve to be: 1/(x+1)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by finding the derivative (as stated above), but I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let f(x) = x/(x+1). The derivative at x gives you the slope of the tangent line at x. This tangent line passes through the point (x,f(x)), which is enough information to give you the equation of the line. You need to find out when, if ever, it passes through (1,2) as well.

Okay. I've got it. Thanks!

Related to Trig Function Derivation Question

1. How do you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function can be found by using the chain rule and the derivative rules for sine, cosine, and tangent functions.

2. What is the chain rule and how is it used to find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used to find the derivative of a trigonometric function by first identifying the outer and inner functions, and then applying the chain rule formula.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of a trigonometric function using the chain rule?

Yes, for example, to find the derivative of y = sin(x^2), we can rewrite the function as y = sin(u) where u = x^2. Then, using the chain rule formula, the derivative of y is given by dy/dx = cos(u) * du/dx. Substituting back in the value of u, we get dy/dx = cos(x^2) * 2x.

4. What are the derivative rules for sine, cosine, and tangent functions?

The derivative of sine function is cos(x), the derivative of cosine function is -sin(x), and the derivative of tangent function is sec^2(x).

5. Is it possible to find the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, it is possible to find the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions by using the inverse function rule, which states that the derivative of the inverse function is equal to 1 divided by the derivative of the original function evaluated at the inverse function's input.