Trig Expression simplification

In summary, to simplify an expression containing two terms, we need to combine them into one single term by factoring out the common factor. In the given expression, $\cos 3x$ needs to be expressed in terms of $\cos x$. By using the triple-angle formula for $\cos 3x$, we can simplify the expression to $\cos x(4\cos^2x-3+4h)$. It is not possible to use a sum-to-product identity in this case due to the differing coefficients on the cosine terms.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
What identity I need to use for simplifying this trig expression into one expression?$cos(3x)+4hcos(x)$ where h is a constant.

Thank you for your help.

Can you explain, too?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
To simplify an expression that contains two terms means we need to combine these two terms to become one single term, i.e. by factoring out the common factor.

In our case ($\cos3x+4h \cos x$), we need to express $\cos 3x$ in terms of $\cos x$ since the second term has a $\cos x$ in it.

By using the triple-angle formula for $ \cos 3x$, where $ \cos 3x=4\cos^3x-3 \cos x$, we can simplify the original expression as follows:

$\displaystyle \cos3x+4h \cos x =(4\cos^3x-3 \cos x)+4h \cos x=\cos x(4\cos^2x-3+4h)$

I wished to use sum-product identity.

With differing coefficients on the cosine terms, I don't see how you can use a sum-to-product identity.

To simplify this trig expression into one expression, you can use the trigonometric identity: cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b).

This identity allows you to rewrite cos(3x) as cos(x+x+x), which can then be expanded using the identity above. Similarly, you can use the identity cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) to simplify cos(x)cos(x) in the expression.

Overall, the simplified expression would be cos(x)(cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)) + 4hcos(x). This can be further simplified using the Pythagorean identity cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1, resulting in the final expression of cos(x) + 4hcos(x) = cos(x)(1+4h).

I hope this explanation helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Trig Expression simplification

What is trig expression simplification?

Trig expression simplification is the process of reducing a trigonometric expression to its simplest form by applying various algebraic and trigonometric identities.

Why is trig expression simplification important?

Trig expression simplification is important because it allows us to manipulate complex trigonometric expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between trigonometric functions.

What are the common trig identities used in simplification?

Some common trig identities used in simplification include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

How do you simplify a trig expression?

To simplify a trig expression, you should start by applying any trig identities that can be used to rewrite the expression. Then, use algebraic techniques such as factoring and combining like terms to further simplify the expression.

Are there any tips for simplifying trig expressions?

Some tips for simplifying trig expressions include being familiar with the common trig identities, using substitution to make the expression easier to work with, and being careful with negative signs and fractions.