How is the Domain of a Trigonometric Expression Determined?

In summary, we discussed using trigonometric substitution to simplify the expression $\sqrt{a^2-x^2}$ to $a\cos\theta$. However, to properly define the value of $\theta$, we need to restrict its domain to $- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2}$. Additionally, there is an assumption that $a \ge 0$.
tmt1
I have the expression

$$\sqrt{ a ^2 - x^2}$$

using trig substitution (with $x = asin\theta$), I get$$\sqrt{ a ^2 - a^2sin^2\theta}$$

which gets simplified to

$ a \sqrt{ cos^2\theta}$ and then $ a cos \theta$

for $$- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2} $$

what I don't get is domain of the expression. I understand that $ cos \theta$ must be greater than 0 because of $ a \sqrt{ cos^2\theta}$, but how does that get simplified to $- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2} $?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi tmt! ;)

tmt said:
I have the expression

$$\sqrt{ a ^2 - x^2}$$

using trig substitution (with $x = asin\theta$), I get

For $x = a\sin\theta$ to be properly defined (bijective), we need to restrict the domain of $\theta$.
Without loss of generality, we can choose $- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2} $, which is the domain of $\arcsin$.

$$\sqrt{ a ^2 - a^2sin^2\theta}$$

which gets simplified to

$ a \sqrt{ cos^2\theta}$ and then $ a cos \theta$

for $$- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2} $$

what I don't get is domain of the expression. I understand that $ cos \theta$ must be greater than 0 because of $ a \sqrt{ cos^2\theta}$, but how does that get simplified to $- \frac{\pi}{2} \le 0 \le \frac{\pi}{2} $?

Actually, we can't tell if $\cos \theta$ is greater than 0 or not.
We should consider the case that it's not.
Btw, there's also an assumption in there that $a \ge 0$.
Is that given?

Properly we have:
$$\sqrt{ a ^2 - a^2\sin^2\theta}
= \sqrt{a^2(1-\sin^2\theta)}
= \sqrt{a^2 \cos^2\theta}
= |a \cos\theta|
$$

Related to How is the Domain of a Trigonometric Expression Determined?

1. What is the domain of a trigonometric expression?

The domain of a trigonometric expression is the set of all possible input values for which the expression is defined. In other words, it is the range of values that can be substituted into the trigonometric function without causing it to be undefined or have an imaginary result.

2. How do I determine the domain of a trigonometric expression?

The domain of a trigonometric expression can be determined by looking at the restrictions on the input values for each trigonometric function in the expression. For example, the domain of sine and cosine functions is all real numbers, while the domain of tangent and cotangent functions is all real numbers except for values where the denominator is equal to zero.

3. What happens if I use an input value outside the domain of a trigonometric expression?

If an input value is used outside the domain of a trigonometric expression, the expression will be undefined or have an imaginary result. This means that the expression cannot be evaluated for that particular input value.

4. Can the domain of a trigonometric expression be negative?

Yes, the domain of a trigonometric expression can include negative values. It depends on the restrictions of the individual trigonometric functions in the expression. For example, the domain of the tangent function includes all real numbers except for 0, which means it can have both positive and negative values in its domain.

5. How can I use the domain of a trigonometric expression to solve equations?

The domain of a trigonometric expression is important in solving equations because it tells us which values are valid for the input. When solving equations, we must ensure that the input values we use fall within the domain of the expression. If they do not, then the equation may have no solution or may have an infinite number of solutions.