Tricycle racing a good contender in future Olympic games?

In summary, Tricycle racing can be considered as a contender for future Olympic games, but it would be better if it were motor cycle racing instead.
akerkarprashant
Tricycle

Do you feel Tricycle racing can be considered a good contender as a potential game in future Olympic?

Can Tricycle offers good speed to the cyclist?

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
What type?

5932%402x_racing%2Btricycle.jpg

three+downhill+tricycles.jpg

Likes akerkarprashant
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Klystron
akerkarprashant said:
Thanks. First image. A cyclist wearing a yellow jersey.
What's the point? What advantage does the 3-wheeled bicycle have over the standard road racing bike?

Likes akerkarprashant and Lnewqban
berkeman said:
What's the point? What advantage does the 3-wheeled bicycle have over the standard road racing bike?

In fairness, very few of the Olympic games are designed to be the optimal way to do any activity.

The shooting skiing activities don't come with 30 bullet magazines, the basketball players don't put springs on their feet to jump higher, the weightlifters don't bring a backhoe to lift the weights for them. A tricycle can be worse than a bike, but still be something that people ride at the Olympics.

That said, I also don't understand why people would want to do this.

Likes Vanadium 50 and akerkarprashant
Office_Shredder said:
In fairness, very few of the Olympic games are designed to be the optimal way to do any activity
And then there's Curling... o0)

But I guess my point is if you already have cycling as an Olympic sport, how is this different/better enough to make it also interesting to watch? I could maybe see Unicycle racing as different enough, but adding a 3rd wheel to a racing bike just makes it heavier and harder to ride fast in turns. I'd hate to have to climb any hills with that thing!

Likes akerkarprashant
Yeah, that would make sense. But not for regular cycle racing, hopefully.

Likes akerkarprashant and Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
Its practical application seems to have been in para-cycling, for athletes who have an impairment which affects their balance. ...
Correct. Although a gymnast and dancer in her youth, my late wife could not balance a two-wheeler, something to do with her vestibular system. She could whizz around on her adult tricycle, though.

While fun to work on and ride, the heavy axle and dual wheel assemblies make trikes dubious racing vehicles.

Turns are quite interesting: the (non-recumbent) rider steers by pressing down on the handlebars on the side one wishes to turn while subtly shifting your mass to the opposite side on the wide seat or offside pedal.

Trikes provide excellent exercise with enhanced cargo carrying capability. I covet a hybrid electric tricycle but cannot justify the expense.
1647121064641.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:
Do you feel Tricycle racing can be considered a good contender as a potential game in future Olympic?
Made me think of Arte Johnson riding a tricycle and tipping over (Laugh-In) or a Monty Python skit with Michael Palin and Eric Idle.

Likes akerkarprashant
Office_Shredder said:
The shooting skiing activities don't come with 30 bullet magazines, the basketball players don't put springs on their feet to jump higher, the weightlifters don't bring a backhoe to lift the weights for them. A tricycle can be worse than a bike, but still be something that people ride at the Olympics.
Acrobates have springs under the mats they tumble on.
Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 1.36.41 PM.png

Likes akerkarprashant
Thank you.

One more query.

Cylist performing racing with electric tricycles similar to motorbikes racing.

Can this be a potential contender in future olympic games?

1 Tricycles racing
2 Electric Tricycles racing

Bicycles are replaced by Tricycles.

Which could be the potential contender among the above two
1 or 2 or both
or neither?

Last edited:
Why not just motor cycles?

I guess the answer would be that it would be too much of an engineering competition rather than an athletic one.

Likes Klystron and akerkarprashant
Thanks.

After learning and cycling a Tricycle for racing, cycling a electric Tricycle for racing.

1. Is tricycle racing currently recognized as an Olympic sport?

No, tricycle racing is not currently recognized as an Olympic sport. However, it has been featured in other international competitions such as the Asian Games and Southeast Asian Games.

2. What are the potential benefits of adding tricycle racing to the Olympic games?

Adding tricycle racing to the Olympic games can bring diversity to the sporting events and attract a new audience. It can also provide opportunities for athletes who excel in this sport to compete at the highest level and gain recognition.

3. What are the challenges that may prevent tricycle racing from becoming an Olympic sport?

One of the main challenges is the lack of standardized rules and regulations for tricycle racing. Additionally, there may be resistance from traditional Olympic sports and concerns about the safety of the athletes.

4. How popular is tricycle racing globally?

Tricycle racing is gaining popularity globally, especially in countries where cycling is a popular sport. It has a strong following in Asia and Europe, with increasing interest in North America and other parts of the world.

5. What steps need to be taken for tricycle racing to be considered for the Olympic games?

To be considered for the Olympic games, tricycle racing needs to be recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). This requires the establishment of a governing body for the sport, the development of standardized rules and regulations, and the organization of international competitions to showcase the sport's talent and potential.