Tricky to 2 variable line/path integral

In summary, to compute ∫f ds for f(x,y)=\frac {y^3}{x^7} y=\frac {x^4}{4} for 1≤x≤2, you need to find the magnitude of ∇c'(t) and plug it into the integral, after substituting x=t and using the given limits. To integrate, you can let u=1+t^6 and use the corresponding substitution.
Unart

Homework Statement

Compute ∫f ds for [tex]f(x,y)=\frac {y^3}{x^7}[/tex] [tex]y=\frac {x^4}{4}[/tex] for [itex]1≤x≤2[/itex]

Homework Equations

∫f ds= ∫f(c(t))||c'(t)||

||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

From this... I gathered the following, by saying x=t
[tex]c(t)= <t,\frac {t^4}{4}>[/tex]
[itex]c'(t)= <1, t^3>[/itex]

That gave me a magnitude of [tex]\sqrt{1+t^6}[/tex]

so now I get that ∫f ds... through plugging in the magnitude and c(t) in the integral... this

[itex]∫\frac{t^5 \sqrt{1+t^6}}{64}[/itex] where [itex] x=t\, and\, 1≤t≤2 [/itex]

This is the part where I'm particularly stuck... am I missing a step or did I make a math error? How do I integrate this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##u = 1+t^6##.

I am completely lost... my anti-derivative and integration is shaky at best.
so
u= 1+t^6
so do I just take the anti-derivative of t^5... and get t^6/(6*64) and then take the and then the anti-derivative of u which would [tex]\frac{2u^\frac{3}{2}}{3} [/tex] then anti-derivative of U which would t+t^7/7

no wait, there would be a product rule... too wouldn't it.

or am I wrong

Ignoring the ##\frac 1 {64}##, you have$$
\int t^5\sqrt{1+t^6}\, dt$$If you let ##u = 1+t^6## then ##du = 6t^5dt##. That gives you$$
\frac 1 6\int u^{\frac 1 2}\, du$$You integrate that and substitute ##u = 1+t^6## in your answer. Then put in your limits.

Related to Tricky to 2 variable line/path integral

What is a 2 variable line/path integral?

A 2 variable line/path integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total change along a curved path in a two-dimensional space. It takes into account the change in both the x and y directions, unlike a regular line integral which only considers changes in one direction.

Why is a 2 variable line/path integral considered tricky?

A 2 variable line/path integral can be tricky because it involves multiple variables and requires a deep understanding of calculus concepts such as multivariable integration and parameterization. It also involves complex calculations and can have various applications, making it a challenging topic to grasp.

What are some real-world applications of 2 variable line/path integrals?

2 variable line/path integrals have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, calculate fluid flow in a curved pipe, and determine the center of mass for a curved object, among others.

How is a 2 variable line/path integral calculated?

To calculate a 2 variable line/path integral, you first need to parameterize the path in terms of two variables, typically denoted as x and y. Then, you use multivariable integration to integrate the function of interest along the path, taking into account the changes in both x and y directions.

What are some tips for solving tricky 2 variable line/path integrals?

Some tips for solving tricky 2 variable line/path integrals include understanding the concept of parameterization, practicing with simpler examples, and breaking the integral down into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to visualize the path and use symmetry or other properties of the function to simplify the calculations.