Tricky questions about glass transition and crystalline melting

In summary, the glass transition is a process where a material becomes softer and more flexible as it is heated, while crystalline melting involves a complete breakdown of the molecular structure. It is possible for a material to have both a glass transition and a crystalline melting point, which is often seen in polymers. The glass transition temperature is influenced by factors such as molecular weight and structure, and it is important in materials science as it affects the mechanical and physical properties of a material. While the glass transition temperature can be controlled or manipulated to some extent, it is ultimately determined by the chemical composition of the material.
ymhiq

Homework Statement

How do you explain that crystalline melting temperature Tf of PE is greater than the Tf of PEO? How do you explain that the glass transition temperature of PP is lower than the glass transition temperatures of PVC and PS?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you explain that crystalline melting temperature Tf of PE is greater than the Tf of PEO?

I read something about the higher the molecular weight the higher the crystalline melting temperature, so I found that PEO is also PGE and its molecular weight goes from 1000 to 20000, PE has a molecular weight between 10000 and 40000. It makes sense. I kept reading and I found that PTFE has got a Tf of 330 ºC because of its crystallinity 94% so I found that the crystallinity of PE is about 45% but crystallinity of PGE is 83% and it do not make sense.

I got confused. I decided to answer the next question but...

How do you explain that the glass transition temperature of PP is lower than the glass transition temperatures of PVC and PS?

I also read that glass transition temperature is related to crystalline melting temperature and its a fraction of its value(tow thirds for unsymmetrical polymers and half for symmetrical ones). However PP molecular weight is between 200000 and 700000, PVC molecular weight is between 100000 and 200000 and finally PS is between 50000 and 100000 and it do not make sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You mean PEG (polyethylene glycol) instead of PGE (polyglycerol ester). PEO (polyethylene oxide) is the same as PEG, although they sometimes refer to different molecular weight regimes. In general, yes, the MW of PEO will be significantly less than PE, and this leads directly to the observed higher melting point of PE.
2) For the glass transition temperature, you're no longer looking at the molecular weight, but rather how easily the polymer chains pack in a crystalline configuration versus how easy it is for them to pack amorphously. For PP (polypropylene), each monomer unit has a methyl side group which inhibits efficient packing and lowers the glass transition temperature: the temperature where the polymer transitions from largely crystalline to largely amorphous. This is most apparent when comparing atactic PP (methyl group is "randomly" placed on the polymer backbone) to isotactic PP (methyl group is periodically placed on polymer backbone). The Tg of atactic PP is quite a bit lower than that of isotactic PP. On the other hand, PVC (polyvinyl chloride) packs very efficiently because the chlorides provide enough of a dipole to match up in a crystalline fashion (this doesn't happen with the nonpolar methyl groups). For the case of PS (polystyrene), the aryl side groups can ##\pi-\pi## stack and create crystalline interactions, so it too has a relatively high Tg.

Related to Tricky questions about glass transition and crystalline melting

What is the difference between glass transition and crystalline melting?

The glass transition is the process in which a material changes from a hard, rigid state to a softer, more flexible state as it is heated. This occurs without any significant change in its chemical structure. Crystalline melting, on the other hand, is the process in which a material changes from a solid to a liquid state as it is heated. This involves a complete breakdown of the material's molecular structure.

Can a material have both a glass transition and a crystalline melting point?

Yes, a material can have both a glass transition and a crystalline melting point. This is typically seen in polymers, which can have both a glass transition temperature and a melting temperature for their crystalline regions.

What factors influence the glass transition temperature of a material?

The glass transition temperature of a material is influenced by factors such as molecular weight, molecular structure, and the presence of additives or impurities. Generally, materials with higher molecular weight and more rigid molecular structures will have a higher glass transition temperature.

Why is the glass transition temperature important in materials science?

The glass transition temperature is important in materials science because it relates to the mechanical and physical properties of a material. It can affect the material's strength, flexibility, and durability, making it a crucial factor to consider in the design and use of various materials.

Can the glass transition temperature be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the glass transition temperature can be controlled or manipulated through various means such as changing the molecular weight or structure of a material, adding plasticizers or other additives, and using different processing techniques. However, the glass transition temperature is ultimately determined by the chemical composition of the material and cannot be completely altered.