Glass transition temperature; slowly cooling it

In summary, the transition temperature Tg of glasses decreases as the rate of cooling slows down. This may seem counterintuitive as slower cooling would lead to a more organized and crystalline structure. However, slower cooling allows for more dislocations and movement of molecules, resulting in a lower Tg. There may be a point where the binding energy of the lattice starts to reduce the mobility of the molecules, causing Tg to increase. Some suggest that the annealing point, which is typically 10^13 poise, is a better indicator of Tg for glasses. For example, high-purity fused silica has a Tg of 1042 degrees Celsius, according to its annealing point. It is also possible for the melting point
Baqar79
One aspect of glasses that has confused me was the fact that the transition temperature Tg drops as you slow the rate of cooling.

This has confused me because if the glass is slowly becoming more crystalline, then I would of thought that the Tg would start climbing up towards the crystal melt point (Tm is it?) as by cooling it slower, the molecules would have more time to organize themselves.

One of the ways I was trying to reason this out, was that in the case that you cool glass quicker, the less ordered amorphous result would require you to put in my energy to allow the glass molecules to move around since there are less directions in which the lattice can slide in since very little of it is crystalline.

Since cooling it slower allows a more crystalline structure to form, the Tg temperature drops since there are more directions in which the molecules can move (easier to form dislocations I guess...?).

However (if my visualization above at all is at least somewhat true) I would think that there must be a point where the binding energy of the lattice starts to reduce the mobility of the molecules; ie if you cool it slowly enough you do actually create a crystal, so there must be a point where Tg starts to increase for a very slowly cooled glass (which eventually starts looking like a melting point since the viscousity would become so high as to be almost indistinguishible from being solid).

I guess I'm looking to understand why Tg drops when the binding energy increases in slowly cooled glasses; and the above explanation kind of makes sense to me, but I might be looking at it the wrong way.

Any one have any good explanations for the drop in Tg for glasses that are cooled slower?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Weird that this post was moved to physics; after all I learned these concepts in a chemistry class (which is why I posted in chemistry). Still if a physicist can answer this question well, no harm done.

Getting an answer isn't looking good (many looks, no replies).

I think the problem is a lot more difficult then I believe it to be. For example Fused quartz is a glass that is made of melting high purity sillica and the result has a melting point that is quite high (1715 degrees celcius). Since from the below phase diagram none of the forms of quartz at standard atmospheric pressure are going to be solid above 1705 degrees celcius; the glass form has a higher melting point then the crystalline form.
silica_phase_diagram.png

I should not forget though the transition temperature still might be lower (the point where a certain viscosity is met; wikipedia: 10^13 poise (or 10^12 Pa·s)).

Ahh!, I found a link:
http://www.corning.com/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=59293

Turns out 10^13 poise is usually the Annealing point of glass; and so in the above link High-purity fused silica has a Tg of 1042 degrees celcius (if Tg is taken to be 10^13 poise).

Of course I now think I might be at the start again of my question; but I did think for a moment that the melting point of the glass was somehow exceeding the melting point of a pure quartz crystal.

Still they do place the melting point of Fused silica above that of the quartz crystal; does that mean that while the quartz is liquid, the Fused silica is still in a semi-solid state (or just a really viscous liquid)?

If you could cool fused silica fast enough, would you be able to increase the Tg of fused silica, above that of the melting point of quartz?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Glass transition temperature; slowly cooling it

1. What is the glass transition temperature?

The glass transition temperature is the temperature at which an amorphous material, such as glass, transitions from a hard, rigid state to a more flexible, rubbery state.

2. How does the glass transition temperature affect the properties of a material?

The glass transition temperature can greatly impact the properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and durability. Below the glass transition temperature, the material will act more like a solid, while above it, the material will behave more like a liquid.

3. What factors can influence the glass transition temperature of a material?

The glass transition temperature can be influenced by various factors, such as the chemical composition of the material, the rate of cooling, and any additives or impurities present.

4. How does slowly cooling affect the glass transition temperature of a material?

Slowly cooling a material can result in a lower glass transition temperature. This is because slower cooling allows for more molecular rearrangement, which can lead to a more relaxed and flexible material with a lower glass transition temperature.

5. Why is the glass transition temperature important in material science?

The glass transition temperature is important in material science because it can greatly impact the properties and performance of a material. Understanding the glass transition temperature can help scientists and engineers choose the best materials for specific applications and processes. It can also provide insight into the behavior and structure of amorphous materials.