Tricky Charge/Net Force Problem

• Thread starter jamesbiomed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involved estimating the net force between the CO and HN groups, with charges of ±0.40e and ±0.20e respectively. The solution involved using the equation Felec=kQ1Q2/r^2, where k=9*10^9. The mistake made in the attempt was not accounting for both charges and the signs of the charges were also not accounted for properly. The correct solution involved considering the forces on both H and N, and the net force was found to be the sum of these forces. It is important to pay attention to signs in problems like this.
jamesbiomed

Homework Statement

Estimate the net force between the CO group and the HN group shown in the figure. The C and O have charges ±0.40e and the H and N have charges ±0.20e where e = 1.6 × 10-19 C. [Hint: Do not include the "internal" forces between C and O, or between H and N.]

http://www.webassign.net/gianpse4/21-70.gif

Homework Equations

Felec=kQ1Q2/r^2

k=9*10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried going between O- and H+ as in: F=(k(-.4*.2)(1.6*10^-19)^2)/(.18*10^-9)^2
which didn't work.

I could try the charges on each by the opposite two poles, but if I'm doing that why not try include the internal forces while I'm at it?

Basically, without including the internal forces I'm not sure where to start. Also, I have only one attempt left so I wanted to check on here to see if I can get a push in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force acting H? Force acting on N?

voko said:
What is the force acting H? Force acting on N?

H: F=(k(.40*-.20)e^2)/.18^2

N: F=(k(-.40*.20)e^2)/.3^2

H has two forces acting on it: from C and from O. Ditto for N.

True. My mistake.

H: F=k(.40)(-.2)e^2/(.18^2) +k(-.4)(-.2)e^2/.3^2
N: F=(k(-.40*.20)e^2)/.28^2 + k(.4)(.2)e^2/.4^2

Does that seem right? The mistake was not accounting for both charges?

I think the signs of the charges are not accounted for properly.

My mistake, H and N's signs are reversed.

Would the net force between the two groups just be the sum of the forces on H and the sum of forces on N?

The forces are applied along the same line so, yes, the resultant force is simply the sum of them.

Oh, ok. Thank you very much for the help

Keep in mind in problems of this kind signs are paramount. This applies to every stage of computation, so always keep an eye on them.

I'll keep that in mind, it's just been one of those days...

Related to Tricky Charge/Net Force Problem

What is a tricky charge/net force problem?

A tricky charge/net force problem is a physics problem that involves multiple charged particles and requires the use of Coulomb's law to determine the net force on each particle.

How do I solve a tricky charge/net force problem?

To solve a tricky charge/net force problem, you must first identify all of the charged particles involved and their respective charges. Then, use Coulomb's law to calculate the force between each pair of particles. Finally, determine the net force acting on each particle by adding up all of the individual forces.

What is the significance of Coulomb's law in solving tricky charge/net force problems?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It is crucial for solving tricky charge/net force problems because it allows you to calculate the force between any two charged particles in the problem.

Can I use Coulomb's law to solve any tricky charge/net force problem?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used to solve any tricky charge/net force problem involving static charges. However, in some cases, the problem may involve moving charges or changing electric fields, in which case a more complex approach may be necessary.

What are some tips for solving tricky charge/net force problems?

Some tips for solving tricky charge/net force problems include carefully drawing a diagram of the problem, labeling all of the charges, and breaking the problem down into smaller parts. It is also important to pay attention to the signs of the charges and to use proper units when calculating forces.