Triangulation of Convex Polygon: Prove Cn-2 Ways

In summary, triangulations of a convex polygon can be decomposed into triangles, with no interior triangles overlapping. There are a total of Cn−2 ways to triangulate a polygon, where Cn is the number of sides. For n=3, 4, and 5 there are 1 2 5 and 14 triangulations, respectively. For n=6 there are 5 13.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

A triangulation of a convex polygon is a decomposition of the polygon into
triangles whose interiors do not overlap and whose vertices lie at vertices of
the polygon. Prove that there are Cn−2 ways to triangulate an n-sided convex
polygon

Homework Equations

cn= (1/2)(2n choose n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a proof by induction:

let n=3.
there is only one way to triangulate a triangle, and
cn-2=c1=(1/2)(2 choose 1)=1. So the statement holds for n=3

now assume the statement holds for n=k
So the number of ways to triangulate a k-sided polygon is Ck-2=(1/2)(2(k-2) choose k-2)

Now let n=k+1

This is where I get stuck and I dont' know what to do... any help/hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dancergirlie! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't think that formula is right …

For n = 4, there are only 2 solutions, but C4-2 = C2 = (1/2)4C2 = 3. :confused:

A triangulation of a convex polygon is a decomposition of the polygon into
triangles whose interiors do not overlap and whose vertices lie at vertices of
the polygon
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but I'm getting …

For n = 5, there are 5 solutions, all "3-fans".

For n = 6, there are 13 solutions, 6 "4-fans", 6 "pairs-of-2-fans", and 1 with a central triangle.

If I'm counting correctly (and of course I may not be :redface:), I don't see how 13 can come out of a "choose" function.

Catalan numbers

tiny-tim said:
If I'm counting correctly (and of course I may not be :redface:) …

oops … I did miss one :blushing: … there are 2 with a central triangle, making 14.

So the number of triangulations of an n-sided polygon for n = 3 4 5 and 6 are 1 2 5 and 14, which look like the Catalan numbers, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_number

They're 2nCn/(n+1), not 2nCn/2 as in the original question. :rolleyes:

They're generated by Cn+1 = ∑i=0n CiCn-i, which is fairly easy to prove for triangulations of a polygon. :smile:

(there's a proof of the more direct equation (n+2)Cn+1 = (4n+2)Cn in the wikipedia article, but I'm afraid I don't understand it at all :redface:)

Related to Triangulation of Convex Polygon: Prove Cn-2 Ways

What is the definition of triangulation of a convex polygon?

Triangulation of a convex polygon is a method of dividing a polygon into triangles by connecting its vertices with non-intersecting diagonals. This results in a partition of the polygon into smaller, simpler shapes.

What is the purpose of triangulation of a convex polygon?

The purpose of triangulation is to break down a complex shape into smaller, simpler shapes that are easier to analyze and work with. This is especially useful in computer graphics and geometric algorithms.

How many ways can a convex polygon with n sides be triangulated?

A convex polygon with n sides can be triangulated in Cn-2 ways, where Cn-2 is the nth Catalan number. For example, a convex polygon with 5 sides can be triangulated in 5-2=3 ways.

What is the formula for calculating the number of triangulations of a convex polygon?

The formula for calculating the number of triangulations of a convex polygon with n sides is Cn-2 = (2n-3)!! / (n-1)!n!, where !! represents the double factorial function. This formula is based on the Catalan recurrence relation.

What are some real-world applications of triangulation of convex polygons?

Triangulation of convex polygons has various applications in computer graphics, such as 3D modeling, animation, and rendering. It is also used in geographical mapping, civil engineering, and finite element analysis for structural design.