Triangular Matrix RIngs .... Lam, Proposition 1.17

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Rings
In summary, Peter is reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and needs help with Part (1) of Proposition 1.17, which states that I_1 \oplus I_2 is a left ideal of A. Peter provides a possible solution to the problem and welcomes feedback on his analysis.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with Part (1) of Proposition 1.17 ... ...

Proposition 1.17 (together with related material from Example 1.14 reads as follows:View attachment 5993
View attachment 5994
View attachment 5995Can someone please help me to prove Part (1) of the proposition ... that is that \(\displaystyle I_1 \oplus I_2\) is a left ideal of \(\displaystyle A\) ... ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with Part (1) of Proposition 1.17 ... ...

Proposition 1.17 (together with related material from Example 1.14 reads as follows:

Can someone please help me to prove Part (1) of the proposition ... that is that \(\displaystyle I_1 \oplus I_2\) is a left ideal of \(\displaystyle A\) ... ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

I have been reflecting on the problem I posed ... here is my 'solution' ... Note: I am quite unsure of this ...Problem ... Let \(\displaystyle I = I_1 \oplus I_2\) where \(\displaystyle I_1\) is a left ideal of \(\displaystyle S\) and \(\displaystyle I_2\) is a left submodule of \(\displaystyle R \oplus M\) ...Show \(\displaystyle I\) is a left ideal of \(\displaystyle A\)
Let \(\displaystyle a \in I\), then there exists \(\displaystyle a_1 \in I_1\) and \(\displaystyle a_2 \in I_2\) such that \(\displaystyle a = (a_1, a_2) \in I \)
[ ... ... actually \(\displaystyle a_2 = (c_1, c_2) \in R \oplus M\) but we ignore this complication in order to keep notation simple ... ]Similarly let \(\displaystyle b \in I\) so \(\displaystyle b = (b_1, b_2) \in I\) ... ...
Now ... if \(\displaystyle I\) is a left ideal then
\(\displaystyle a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I\)and
\(\displaystyle r \in A\) and \(\displaystyle a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I\)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To show \(\displaystyle a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I
\)
Let \(\displaystyle a,b \in I\)then \(\displaystyle a - b = (a_1, a_2) - (b_1, b_2)\) where \(\displaystyle a_1, b_1 \in S\) and \(\displaystyle a_2, b_2 \in R \oplus M\) so, \(\displaystyle a - b = (a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2) \)But ... \(\displaystyle a_1 - b_1 \in I_1\) since \(\displaystyle I_1\) is an ideal in \(\displaystyle S\)and ... \(\displaystyle a_2 - b_2\) since \(\displaystyle I_2\) is a left sub-module of \(\displaystyle A\) hence \(\displaystyle (a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2) = a - b \in I\)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To show \(\displaystyle r \in A\) and \(\displaystyle a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I\)
Now ... \(\displaystyle r \in A\) and \(\displaystyle a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra = r(a_1, a_2) = (ra_1, ra_2)\) [I hope this is correct!]But \(\displaystyle ra_1 \in I_1\) since \(\displaystyle I_1\) is a left ideal ...and \(\displaystyle ra_2 \in I_2\) since \(\displaystyle I_2\) is a left \(\displaystyle R\)-submodule ...Hence \(\displaystyle (ra_1, ra_2) = ra \in I \)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The above shows that I is a left ideal ... I think ...Comments critiquing the above analysis and/or pointing out errors are more than welcome ...Peter

Related to Triangular Matrix RIngs .... Lam, Proposition 1.17

1. What is a triangular matrix ring?

A triangular matrix ring is a mathematical structure that consists of square matrices with zeros in either the upper or lower triangle. It can also be described as a ring of matrices that satisfies a certain triangular property.

2. Who is Lam, and what is Proposition 1.17?

Lam refers to T.Y. Lam, a renowned mathematician known for his work in ring theory. Proposition 1.17 is a specific proposition within his book "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings", which discusses properties of triangular matrix rings.

3. What is the significance of Proposition 1.17 in triangular matrix rings?

Proposition 1.17 in Lam's book provides an important result about the structure of triangular matrix rings. It states that every non-zero ideal in a triangular matrix ring must contain a non-zero element in its diagonal position.

4. How are triangular matrix rings used in scientific research?

Triangular matrix rings have various applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations, among other things.

5. Are triangular matrix rings a common topic in scientific literature?

Yes, triangular matrix rings are a well-studied topic in both mathematics and other scientific disciplines. They have numerous applications and have been extensively researched and discussed in various scientific publications.