Triangular Matrix Rings .... Another Question

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Rings
In summary, the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings can be used to show that R/ ( R \oplus M ) \cong S and A / ( M \oplus S ) \cong R.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with yet another aspect of Example 1.14 ... ...

Example 1.14 reads as follows: View attachment 5991
View attachment 5992Near the end of the above text from T. Y. Lam we read the following:" ... ... Moreover \(\displaystyle R \oplus M\) and \(\displaystyle M \oplus S\) are both ideals of \(\displaystyle A\), with \(\displaystyle A / (R \oplus M ) \cong S\) and \(\displaystyle A / ( M \oplus S ) \cong R \) ... ... "

Can someone please help me to show, formally and rigorously that A / (R \oplus M ) \cong S and A / ( M \oplus S ) \cong R ... ... My only thought so far is that the First Isomorphism Theorem may be useful ...

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with yet another aspect of Example 1.14 ... ...

Example 1.14 reads as follows:
Near the end of the above text from T. Y. Lam we read the following:" ... ... Moreover \(\displaystyle R \oplus M\) and \(\displaystyle M \oplus S\) are both ideals of \(\displaystyle A\), with \(\displaystyle A / (R \oplus M ) \cong S\) and \(\displaystyle A / ( M \oplus S ) \cong R \) ... ... "

Can someone please help me to show, formally and rigorously that A / (R \oplus M ) \cong S and A / ( M \oplus S ) \cong R ... ... My only thought so far is that the First Isomorphism Theorem may be useful ...

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

I have been reflecting on my own question posed above ... and believe that indeed it is the case that the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings can be used to prove Lam's assertions ...
Now ... ... Use of the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings in order to show that

\(\displaystyle R/ ( R \oplus M ) \cong S\)

would proceed as follows:
Define a surjection \(\displaystyle \phi \ : \ A \rightarrow S\) ... ...... where \(\displaystyle \phi\) is defined as the map \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} r & m \\ 0 & s \end{pmatrix} \ \mapsto \ \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & s \end{pmatrix}\)
\(\displaystyle \phi\) is clearly an epimorphism with kernel ... :\(\displaystyle \text{ ker } \phi = \begin{pmatrix} r & m \\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \ \cong \ R \oplus M\) So by the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings we have the following
\(\displaystyle A / \text{ ker } \phi \ \cong \ S\) ...... that is ...\(\displaystyle A / ( R \oplus M ) \ \cong \ S\) ...

Is the above analysis correct?If it is correct ... then \(\displaystyle A / ( M \oplus S ) \ \cong \ R\) ... follows similarly ...[Note: I think we could have proved the above by only invoking the First Isomorphism Theorem for Groups ... ]Any comments critiquing the above analysis are welcome ...Peter

Related to Triangular Matrix Rings .... Another Question

1. What is a triangular matrix ring?

A triangular matrix ring is a specific type of ring in abstract algebra that is made up of matrices with entries only on or above/below the main diagonal. It is often used in linear algebra and has applications in computer science and physics.

2. What are the properties of triangular matrix rings?

Triangular matrix rings have many unique properties, including being closed under addition and multiplication, having a multiplicative identity, and being associative and distributive. They also have a triangular structure, which makes it easier to perform certain calculations.

3. How are triangular matrix rings used in linear algebra?

Triangular matrix rings are often used in solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing other matrix operations. They are also used in representing linear transformations and in solving differential equations.

4. Can triangular matrix rings be used in other fields of science?

Yes, triangular matrix rings have applications in various fields of science, including computer science, physics, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems and to solve problems with large sets of data.

5. Are there any limitations to triangular matrix rings?

One limitation of triangular matrix rings is that they can only be used with square matrices. Additionally, some operations may be more difficult or impossible to perform with triangular matrices compared to general matrices. However, these limitations can often be overcome by using different techniques and methods.