Triangle Inequality (Sums of Sides)

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving the inequality portion of the triangle inequality, using the distance formula and basic inequality algebra. The method involves writing the sum of the three lengths of the legs of a triangle and noting that this sum is greater than or equal to 0, and then squaring both sides. The conversation also considers the possibility of all three points lying on the same line and the simplicity of the proof.
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

Prove that any side of a triangle is less than or equal to the sum of the other two sides of the triangle (using components).

Homework Equations

root [(x3-x1)^2 + (y3-y1)^2]
<= root [(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2] + root [(x3-x2)^2 + (y3-y2)^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve the inequality portion by considering the slopes of the sides of the triangle (using components), where

[(x2-x1)/(y2-y1)]^2 + [(x2-x1)/(y2-y1)]^2 + [(x2-x1)/(y2-y1)]^2 > 0
I expanded everything but that got really messy. We haven't learned to really prove anything so far (but the textbook only mentions the distance formula), so I don't really know where to start with the problem. Our professor showed us a method that involved squaring differences of numbers in order to prove something (and taking the discriminant), but it doesn't seem to be viable here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The slopes have very little to do with the triangle inequality, which is a fundamental in how mathematicians generalize the property of measuring "length", using the assumption that "length" is always positive.
Use the distance formula on the components. Without loss of generality, you can place one vertex of the triangle at the origin. Then draw a line to the arbitrary point (x0, y0). Another arbitrary point (x1, y1) is needed, but the completing line segment is now fully defined. Noting that the distance formula is always positive and therefore the sum of distances is positive as well, see if this gives you the inequality you seek. Afterwards, note that the placement of the origin is arbitrary and add the (x3, y3) point back into the formula. This is done to save the forests.

Even so, the three points may be collinear (therefore the slopes of the segments are the same) and the sum of the two smaller segments would equal the third segment. That's why I thought that finding slopes (and suggesting that the slopes are different) would be the method for proving the inequality portion of the inequality (sorry if it sounded like I didn't know the equality, which I do).

SpringPhysics said:
Even so, the three points may be collinear (therefore the slopes of the segments are the same) and the sum of the two smaller segments would equal the third segment. That's why I thought that finding slopes (and suggesting that the slopes are different) would be the method for proving the inequality portion of the inequality (sorry if it sounded like I didn't know the equality, which I do).

that's why there is an = sign in the inequality as well. ;) Did you solve this one yet?

I solved the equality but not the "<" part of it. I would think we would have to compare slopes in order to prove it because otherwise all three points could lie on the same line.

SpringPhysics said:
I solved the equality but not the "<" part of it. I would think we would have to compare slopes in order to prove it because otherwise all three points could lie on the same line.

Again, the slopes have very little to do with the inequality. The inequality comes right from writing the sum of the three lengths of the legs of a triangle and then noting that this sum is greater than or equal to 0. Basic inequality algebra then gives you the triangle inequality. The only ingredient is the distance formula.

Isn't that a little simple for a proof though?

(Thanks for putting up with all of this.)

SpringPhysics said:
Isn't that a little simple for a proof though?

(Thanks for putting up with all of this.)

I'm not sure what you mean. Simple proofs are to be encouraged; they show how fundamental a concept is.

It's just that the solution seems to be rephrasing the question. And when you bring a term over from the sum, wouldn't that term be negative? Would you then say that negative distance is invalid and so QED?

SpringPhysics said:
It's just that the solution seems to be rephrasing the question. And when you bring a term over from the sum, wouldn't that term be negative? Would you then say that negative distance is invalid and so QED?

No, you then square both sides. It's not *that* simple. :D

I thought about that too. Okay then, thanks for your help!

Related to Triangle Inequality (Sums of Sides)

What is the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and a triangle is the shortest path connecting three points, so the sum of the two shorter sides must be greater than the longest side.

Why is the Triangle Inequality Theorem important?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem is important because it helps to determine if a given set of side lengths can form a valid triangle. It also helps in calculating the range of possible values for the third side of a triangle, given the lengths of the other two sides.

How is the Triangle Inequality Theorem used in real life?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. For example, it is used to determine the minimum and maximum lengths of cables or ropes that can be used to support a bridge or a crane. It is also used in designing trusses and other structures.

Can the Triangle Inequality Theorem be applied to all triangles?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality Theorem can be applied to all triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. However, for an equilateral triangle, the equality sign holds true, meaning that the sum of any two sides is equal to the third side.

How can the Triangle Inequality Theorem be proven?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem can be proven using the properties of parallel lines and transversals, and the fact that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. It can also be proven using the Pythagorean Theorem and the properties of right triangles.