Triangle and two circles theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an inscribed circle in a triangle and how it is related to the midpoints of the sides. The conversation also touches on the theorem of two circles and the properties of tangents and radii in relation to the inscribed circle. The conversation ends with a reference to a diagram and a promise to read more about the topic.
Delong
Can someone help me understand why this is the case? I tried forming a cartesian equation for the two circles but there were too many variables that it would be too messy to compute. Otherwise I am rather stuck on how to do it. I would appreciate it if someone can explain how to prove this theorem in accessible terms. Thanks.

In a triangle the inscribed circle touches the circle that passes through the midpoints of the sides.

Attachments

• circles.gif
    circles.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what the 'two circles theorem' is but you seem to be discussing the incircle for a triangle.

The inscribed circle for any polygon is the circle to which each side is tangent.

To see why the tangent point is the mid point of each side look at my first sketch for some preliminary results.

From any point P outside any circle, centre O, two tangents may be drawn meeting the circle at M and N.
Since OM and ON are radii and NP and MP are tangents [tex]\hat{ONP}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{OMP}[/tex] are right angles.
Since OP is common to both triangles OMP and ONP they are congruent.

Therefore [tex]\hat{NPO}[/tex] = [tex]\hat{MPO}[/tex]
Therefore OP bisects [tex]\hat{NPM}[/tex] and the two tangents
Therefore OP bisects any line such as MN, crossing PM and PN produced

Taking this result into my second diagram you can see that the line from each vertex of triangle ABC to the centre of the incircle produced bisects the vertex angle and the opposite side.
Further these lines meet the opposite sides at right angles, since OF, OG, OH are radii and the sides are tangents.
Further these lines meet at the centre of the incircle.

go well

Attachments

• incircle.jpg
    incircle.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 503
So yes I will read these very soon. Thanks!

The triangle and two circles theorem, also known as the Feuerbach's theorem, states that the inscribed circle of a triangle is tangent to the circle that passes through the midpoints of the sides. This is a well-known and fundamental theorem in geometry, and its proof requires some basic concepts and techniques from geometry.

To understand why this is the case, let's consider the properties of the two circles involved. The inscribed circle is the largest circle that can be drawn inside the triangle, touching all three sides. The circle passing through the midpoints, also known as the nine-point circle, is the smallest circle that can be drawn outside the triangle, touching all three sides at their midpoints.

Now, let's imagine the inscribed circle and the nine-point circle as two gears that are interlocked, with the inscribed circle rotating inside the nine-point circle. As the inscribed circle rotates, it will always remain tangent to the nine-point circle, because they are both touching the sides of the triangle at the same points. This is similar to how two gears remain in contact as they rotate together.

To prove this theorem in mathematical terms, we can use the concept of power of a point. The power of a point is a measure of the distance of a point from a circle, and it is equal to the square of the length of the tangent drawn from that point to the circle. In this case, the power of the point where the inscribed circle and the nine-point circle touch is the same, as they are both tangent to the same sides of the triangle. This means that the two circles are actually tangent to each other at this point, which proves the theorem.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why the inscribed circle of a triangle is tangent to the circle passing through the midpoints of the sides. It is a beautiful and elegant result in geometry, and its proof highlights the interconnectedness and symmetry of geometric shapes. Keep exploring and discovering the wonders of mathematics and science!

Related to Triangle and two circles theorem

1. What is the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem?

The Triangle and Two Circles Theorem, also known as the Inscribed Angle Theorem, states that if a triangle is inscribed in a circle, and one of its sides is a chord of another circle, then the angle formed by the intersecting chords is equal to half the sum of the intercepted arcs.

2. How is the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem used?

The Triangle and Two Circles Theorem is used to find the measure of angles formed by intersecting chords in a circle. It is also used to solve problems involving tangents, secants, and chords in a circle.

3. Can the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem be applied to any circle?

Yes, the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem can be applied to any circle, as long as the triangle is inscribed in the circle and one of its sides is a chord of another circle.

4. How is the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem related to the Inscribed Angle Theorem?

The Triangle and Two Circles Theorem is also known as the Inscribed Angle Theorem, as it deals with angles formed by chords in a circle. However, the Inscribed Angle Theorem is a more general statement, while the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem specifically deals with triangles inscribed in a circle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem?

Yes, the Triangle and Two Circles Theorem has real-life applications in geometry, engineering, and physics. It is used in calculations involving circles, such as finding the angle of reflection of a light ray off a curved surface or determining the angle at which a car needs to turn to follow a circular path.