Triangle 90<x<135 such that B is tangent

In summary, the problem is to prove that the largest angle in triangle ABC is less than 135 degrees, given that the altitude from B is tangent to the circumcircle of ABC. The conversation discusses finding relations among the angles in the triangle, specifically the angle gamma. Using the fact that the red angle is twice the inscribed angle, it can be deduced that the largest angle is smaller than 135 degrees. The solution involves understanding angles in a circle and their relationship to central and inscribed angles.
undesirable10

Homework Statement

In triangle ABC, the altitude from B is tangent to the circumcircle of ABC. Prove that
the largest angle of the triangle is between 90◦ and 135◦. If the altitudes from both B and
from C are tangent to the circumcircle, then what are the angles of the triangle?

Homework Equations

Well its obvious that it must be greater than 90 degrees due to cyclic quads.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive attempted and physically shown its impossible to have one greater than 135 degrees, and I've actually proven the 90 degrees. How do i prove the 135 degree cap? And how do i do the other part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing and find relations among the angles.
You need to find out something about the angle gamma.

Hint: Find angle x in terms of gamma, then the green one in the yellow right triangle in terms of gamma and beta.
How is it related to the red angle ? What is the other angle in the blue triangle?

ehild

Attachments

• trcr.JPG
    trcr.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 492
Could you please start me off as to finding X in terms of gamma, i realize that parallelograms have equal opposite angles...

There is no parallelogram in the picture. I draw a new picture There is a circle with central angle (red) and inscribed angle gamma (blue) belonging to the same intercepted arc. You certainly know how the central angle and inscribed angle are related. Can you find φ and then x?

ehild

Attachments

• angles.JPG
    angles.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 457
Well ... must equal 120 degrees, and X=30 degrees.

So that means in the original picture, gamma = 120 degrees as well.

Why 120 degrees?

The blue angle (gamma) is an inscribed angle for the arc shown in the picture. The red angle is the central angle belonging to the same arc. The central angle is twice the inscribed angle, so it is 2γ. can you find out φ and x now?

ehild

... is y and angle X is 1/2y

This is a complicated problem, and my English is rather poor. I try my best, but I am afraid, I can not explain the solution to you if you do not help. Have you learned about angles in the circle? Central angle, inscribed angle? Do you understand why is the red angle 2γ?
You have to prove that the largest angle in the triangle ABC is smaller than 135°. I call that angle γ.

The red angle and φ are conjugate angles, sum to one turn, 360°. If the red one is 200°, for example, φ=360-200=160°. What is φ if the red angle is 2γ?

ehild

Attachments

• angles2.JPG
    angles2.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 459

Related to Triangle 90<x<135 such that B is tangent

1. What is the definition of Triangle 90

Triangle 90

2. How many sides does a Triangle 90

A Triangle 90

3. How is B tangent in Triangle 90

In a Triangle 90