How does angle of pic provided equal a/2 + 90 degrees?

In summary, after disregarding the altitude and labeling the angles at vertices D and E, the problem simplifies to finding a way to express angle EAD solely in terms of angle BAC. This can be done using the sum of the interior angles of a triangle and the properties of isosceles triangles. The diagram provided can be used to label all angles in terms of ∠BAC and set up equations to solve for ∠EAD.
questionaskrr

Homework Statement

How does angle DAE equal a/2 + 90 degrees (a refers to the angle at vector A)? Please refer to the picture attached. Triangles ACE and ABD are isosceles. Side h bisects triangle ABC. Segment ED equals the perimeter of triangle ABC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the solution, Angle DAE equals a/2 + 90 degrees. a refers to the angle at Vector A of triangle ABC. I realize the acute angles of AEC and ABD are the same in their respective triangles. Altitude h intersecting at CB makes it 90 degrees on either side, but says nothing further of the angle ( angle a) at vector A.

Attachments

• angle question.png
    angle question.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
questionaskrr said:

Homework Statement

How does angle DAE equal a/2 + 90 degrees (a refers to the angle at vector A)? Please refer to the picture attached. Triangles ACE and ABD are isosceles. Side h bisects triangle ABC. Segment ED equals the perimeter of triangle ABC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the solution, Angle DAE equals a/2 + 90 degrees. a refers to the angle at Vector A of triangle ABC. I realize the acute angles of AEC and ABD are the same in their respective triangles. Altitude h intersecting at CB makes it 90 degrees on either side, but says nothing further of the angle ( angle a) at vector A.

First, disregard the altitude h. It may be helpful in some way, but you don't need it. It's better to just get rid of it so that it doesn't clutter up the picture.

Then, label the angles at vertices D and E. While you're at it, find a new label for the angle that you're calling a. The picture is already using that label for something else.

Now label every other angle in the picture (remember, we're not paying any attention to that unneeded altitude or the angles associated with it) in terms of those three angles.

Given what you (supposedly) know about the sum of the interior angles of a triangle, write down some equations, and see if you can't use one or more of those equations to express ∠EAD solely in terms of ∠BAC (whereas you previously had ∠EAD in terms of ∠BAC, ∠AED, and ∠EDA).

Good luck!

P.S. I think the word you're looking for is "vertex" rather than "vector".

Wow. Who labeled this?! Usually the Side opposite the vertex is labeled with the same letter in lower case as the vertex. Of course you can't do that for vertex A, since there are numerous angles, but you CAN for B,C,D, & E and it wasn't done this way. Oh well. So I assume that you meant angle ∠BAC as that angle is marked with an arc at vertex A. (∠A )
As said, ignore h (which I assume is the height, but whatever, ignore it (if you were told it was the height, then the fact that it bisects the Triangle would be a different way to figure this out, but that is a much more advanced subject).
There are two different ways to put ∠EAD in an equation, one using the properties of triangles and the other just knowing that a total angle is the sum of its subdivisions (angles ∠EAC+∠A+∠BAD). That and the properties of isoceles trinagles is all you need.

abitslow said:
Wow. Who labeled this?! Usually the Side opposite the vertex is labeled with the same letter in lower case as the vertex. Of course you can't do that for vertex A, since there are numerous angles, but you CAN for B,C,D, & E and it wasn't done this way. Oh well. So I assume that you meant angle ∠BAC as that angle is marked with an arc at vertex A. (∠A )
As said, ignore h (which I assume is the height, but whatever, ignore it (if you were told it was the height, then the fact that it bisects the Triangle would be a different way to figure this out, but that is a much more advanced subject).
There are two different ways to put ∠EAD in an equation, one using the properties of triangles and the other just knowing that a total angle is the sum of its subdivisions (angles ∠EAC+∠A+∠BAD). That and the properties of isoceles trinagles is all you need.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70142&d=1401320640.png

I agree that the labeling is somewhat confusing. However, if you consider the original triangle to be Δ ABC, then side a is opposite ∠A, side b is opposite ∠B, and side c is opposite ∠C .

gopher_p said:
First, disregard the altitude h. It may be helpful in some way, but you don't need it. It's better to just get rid of it so that it doesn't clutter up the picture.

Then, label the angles at vertices D and E. While you're at it, find a new label for the angle that you're calling a. The picture is already using that label for something else.

Now label every other angle in the picture (remember, we're not paying any attention to that unneeded altitude or the angles associated with it) in terms of those three angles.

Given what you (supposedly) know about the sum of the interior angles of a triangle, write down some equations, and see if you can't use one or more of those equations to express ∠EAD solely in terms of ∠BAC (whereas you previously had ∠EAD in terms of ∠BAC, ∠AED, and ∠EDA).

Good luck!

P.S. I think the word you're looking for is "vertex" rather than "vector".

I removed the altitude in the new attached pic. I know that the internal angles of triangle ABC must equal 180 degrees. That's about as far as I could get. Perhaps I can arrive at the solution with auxillary questions. In the picture, I labeled most of the vectors with their respective angles. Notice for some angles such as <EAC and <ADB I have question marks next to the smaller case letters. My reasoning behind that is as follows. In triangle ABC, the opposite side of angle c is side c. So would that mean c? has the same angle as angle c in triangle because they have the same opposing sides? Basically I'm asking are a? b? and c? the same angles as their partners in triangle ABC?

With that, I reasoned as follows. because c? = c, and b? = b; and because angles a + b + c = 180 degrees; a + c? + b? = 180 degrees. I thought I had something there, but from the picture, angle DAE doesn't look anything like a straight line.

Attachments

• angle question.png
    angle question.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 414
See the picture. The angle of the big triangle AED at vertex A is α=β+γ+θ. And you know that α+β+y=180°.

ehild

Attachments

• triangles.JPG
    triangles.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 420

Related to How does angle of pic provided equal a/2 + 90 degrees?

1. What is the angle a/2 + 90 degrees?

The angle a/2 + 90 degrees is a mathematical expression that represents an angle that is equal to half of a given angle (a) plus 90 degrees. In other words, it is the sum of half of the given angle and a right angle.

2. How do you calculate the angle a/2 + 90 degrees?

To calculate the angle a/2 + 90 degrees, you first need to know the value of angle a. Then, you can simply divide a by 2 to get its half, and add 90 degrees to it. For example, if a = 60 degrees, then a/2 + 90 degrees = (60/2) + 90 = 30 + 90 = 120 degrees.

3. What is the significance of the angle a/2 + 90 degrees?

The angle a/2 + 90 degrees is often used in geometry and trigonometry to find missing angles in a triangle or other shapes. It is also useful in solving problems related to parallel and perpendicular lines, as well as in calculating angles of rotation in 2D and 3D space.

4. Does the angle a/2 + 90 degrees have any real-world applications?

Yes, the angle a/2 + 90 degrees has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in architecture and engineering to calculate the angles of support beams and trusses. It is also used in navigation and surveying to determine angles and distances between points.

5. Can the angle a/2 + 90 degrees be negative?

No, the angle a/2 + 90 degrees cannot be negative. Since 90 degrees is a right angle and cannot have a negative measure, the angle a/2 + 90 degrees will always have a positive value. However, the value of a/2 can be negative depending on the value of angle a.