Triagulating radio frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses how agencies triangulate on radio frequencies to locate an illegal FM broadcast. They would use three vehicles forming a triangle and simultaneous equations to determine the location. However, the poster suggests that only two vehicles may be needed. Another person suggests using metal foil to cover the radio and rotating it to determine the direction of the radio signal. The poster mentions attempting this method and asks if anyone knows how agencies actually triangulate radio frequencies.
bassplayer142
I was just thinking the other day about how they triangulate on radio frequencies. Imagine an illegal fm broadcast they are trying to find. From thought (not necessarily right), they would have 3 vehicles with receivers that would form a triangle and depending on angles and the time it takes for the signal to reach each vehicle. Using some simultaneous equations they can figure out where it is from. I'm not asking anyone to do the math here as I don't know where to start. Is there any website out there or anything that anyone could lead me to. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think they would need just two vehicles.
(the enough to get two lines)

Funny thing, I couldn't help but try this myself partly from boredom and it is just a great application and math practice. I did end up solving it just a minute ago and I only did need two vehicles. Is this how they do it because It seems logical and I don't know any other way. If anyone is interested in the answer let me know.

No need to measure signal strength. Just cover the radio up with metal foil in all but one direction, and rotate the radio/foil to determine which direction the radio signal is coming from.

maze said:
No need to measure signal strength. Just cover the radio up with metal foil in all but one direction, and rotate the radio/foil to determine which direction the radio signal is coming from.

Do it twice, at different places, and you will get the "2 lines" stated in post #2.

My attempt was not to measure signal strength but the time for the signal to reach the separate vehicles. Using the difference you can find the distances. The foil approach sounds like a good idea. Does anyone know how agencies actually do this?

Related to Triagulating radio frequencies

1. What is triagulating radio frequencies?

Triangulating radio frequencies is the process of using multiple radio receivers to determine the location of a radio signal source. By measuring the time and angle difference between the signal received by each receiver, the location of the source can be calculated.

2. How does triagulating radio frequencies work?

Triangulating radio frequencies works by using the principle of triangulation, which is based on the trigonometric relationships between the angles and distances of three points. By measuring the time and angle differences of a radio signal received by three different receivers, the location of the signal source can be determined.

3. What are the applications of triagulating radio frequencies?

Triangulating radio frequencies has various applications, such as locating lost or stolen objects, tracking vehicles and vessels, and monitoring wildlife movements. It is also used in navigation systems, search and rescue operations, and military operations.

4. What are the limitations of triagulating radio frequencies?

Triangulating radio frequencies may be limited by factors such as signal interference, obstructions in the signal path, and inaccuracies in receiver measurements. It also requires a clear line of sight between the signal source and the receivers, making it less effective in urban or densely populated areas.

5. How is triagulating radio frequencies different from GPS?

Triangulating radio frequencies and GPS (Global Positioning System) are both used for determining location, but they use different methods. GPS uses satellites to transmit signals to a receiver, while triagulating radio frequencies uses receivers to measure the signals from a source. GPS is more accurate and can work in any location, while triagulating radio frequencies requires a clear line of sight to the signal source.