Traveling Wave on a String: Shape Retention & Direction/Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a traveling wave described by the equation y = 0.0050 sin[4.0 (rad/s) t + 0.50 (rad/m)x] with questions about its shape retention, direction of travel, and speed. The participants also discuss the equation y = A sin (kx-wt) and how it relates to the given wave equation.
Aliasa

Homework Statement

[/B]A traveling wave on a string is described by , 0.0050 sin[4.0 (rad/s) t + 0.50 (rad/m)x] . (a) Does this wave retain its shape as it travels? (b) In what direction does the wave travel? (c) What is the wave traveling speed?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

My only concern is regarding part a. It is a 3rd year university course, and the rest of the assingment including this qustion is pretty basic. However, I do not understand if I am missing something regarding retaining of shape by the wave. Is there some ratio for k and w, which if violated the wave no longer retains the shape? Clearly, there is no information provided to assume anything like formation of a standing wave. Superficially, it seems the answer is a yes, but I am not sure. Nothing about it in lecture notes either..[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Aliasa said:
My only concern is regarding part a. It is a 3rd year university course, and the rest of the assingment including this qustion is pretty basic. However, I do not understand if I am missing something regarding retaining of shape by the wave. Is there some ratio for k and w, which if violated the wave no longer retains the shape? Clearly, there is no information provided to assume anything like formation of a standing wave. Superficially, it seems the answer is a yes, but I am not sure. Nothing about it in lecture notes either..

why do you think it may not retain its shape?
write out the equation for traveling waves and see how it moves after say full period T and a full wavelength Lambda

I thought it would retain its shape. y = A sin (kx-wt)
It's just periodic.

Aliasa said:
It's just periodic.

in what direction your wave written above moves? at x=0 y= - A sin wt but in the problem quoted above you have a factor +wt,so it should make a difference ?

Aliasa said:
It's just periodic.

in what direction your wave written above moves? at x=0 y= - A sin wt but in the problem quoted above you have a factor +wt,so it should make a difference ?

Related to Traveling Wave on a String: Shape Retention & Direction/Speed

What is a traveling wave on a string?

A traveling wave on a string is a phenomenon that occurs when a disturbance or vibration is introduced to a string, causing it to move in a wave-like pattern. This wave travels along the length of the string, carrying energy and momentum with it.

How does a traveling wave on a string retain its shape?

A traveling wave on a string retains its shape due to the tension in the string. The tension acts as a restorative force, pulling the string back to its original shape after it has been disturbed. This allows the wave to continue traveling without losing its shape.

What factors affect the speed of a traveling wave on a string?

The speed of a traveling wave on a string is affected by the tension and mass of the string, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave. Generally, a higher tension and lower mass will result in a higher speed, while a higher frequency and shorter wavelength will result in a lower speed.

Can the direction of a traveling wave on a string be changed?

Yes, the direction of a traveling wave on a string can be changed by reflecting the wave off of a fixed endpoint or by introducing a second wave traveling in the opposite direction. This is known as interference and can result in complex wave patterns.

What real-life applications does the study of traveling waves on a string have?

The study of traveling waves on a string has many practical applications, including understanding and predicting seismic waves in earthquakes, analyzing sound waves in musical instruments, and studying the behavior of light waves in fiber optic cables. It also has applications in fields such as acoustics, engineering, and telecommunications.